Odd Problem with 81 GS550L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd Problem with 81 GS550L

I got this bike for my girlfriend to learn how to ride on. The problem I'm having is it won't start, It's getting gas, It might pop every once in awhile. If I stuff a shirt in the airbox it will run fine. what gives? Is it cam timing or something? Any info would be great.

Do you have an airfilter in it?

Comment

is the choke working?
      the 550 is a rather cold natured creature with the stock lean jetting.

Comment

I have the air filter for it yes, but when I stick the shirt in to choke it it will run. Yes the chokes are on also. The shirt creates a suction in the motor and makes it run somehow. When I pull the shirt out it stops running.

Comment

you bike needs to have the filter installed in order to have it run properly, these bikes are set super lean and with the filter it restricts enough air to allow for the right air fuel mix. if you are running he bike with the oem filter installed and useing a t shirt as well then i would review your carb setting to make sure no one has been meddleing with things. you may want to check you intake boots for leaks as well they can cause lots of problems too.

-ryan
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

when I got the bike it had the oem air filter on it and it wouldn't run. The reason the shirt went in there was because I couldn't keep my hand in there to choke it and crank it over. Now that I think about it, it could be the carbs. I'm going to check again. I was thinking cam timing because there isn't much intake suction. Like a valve is open or something.

Comment

Working...
            X