Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 GS550 Valve Job Complete Bike NOT running help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS550 Valve Job Complete Bike NOT running help!!!

1980 GS550ET (new valve seals, new #3 exhaust valve all put in by Dover Cylinder Heads in Greenville SC) Please Help me if you can! Here goes:

Ok guys, I need some help. I posted on here before about my bike having a burned valve. So as I said before, I took the heads to a shop and got all new seals in the head and a new OEM valve installed. The shop said that everything is good and it holds a vacuum on all intake and exhaust. So I think the head is good to go. I assembled the engine with a new head gasket and all other gaskets as required. Anyway, I followed the clymer manual to the T and I think I got it all back together correctly. New Choke Cable, New Throttle Cable.

Before I took the bike down to take the heads off I inspected the carbs from the bottom (by taking off the float bowl) and from the top (Pulled spring and diaphram out and everything was very clean, no dirt or old gas stains. I did NOT check the jets because I wasn't sure if I can take them out without taking the entire carb apart. Does anyone know if I can take the jets out (main and pilot) without taking apart more than just the float bowls? I did see the pics on gsresource about the 850's carb disassembly but I wasn't sure If all of that was needed just to check the jets.

I think the cylinders are getting ignition because I pulled #1 plug and shorted it and I saw spark. Also, the engine spins freely (from when I did the timing adjustment with wrench) so I think its all together ok.
    If you have any ideas on how to troubleshoot the bike and / or the carbs, let me know. Thanks!!

Actually, yes. The main and pilot jets do come out.
    Get a good fitting flathead screwdriver and remove them. Making sure you don't lose any parts like the rubber caps and the little washer around the base of where the main jets screw in.

Dm of mD

Comment

Pilot jets?

What about the pilot jets? Would it start if the pilot jets are clogged at all?

Comment

you set the cam timing and cam chain properly, right? sounds like you may be okay if the engine is spinning freely.

have you installed new spark plugs since it sat for a while?

check your petcock, make sure it is letting gas get through. try starting it on prime.

Comment

If you live near Greenville, PM me and maybe I can give you a hand.
          I live in Simpsonville.
          We are hoping to have a North Carolina ride within the next month or
          so, we need to get you up and running.

Gods Peace
          Mo

Comment

Bike running....but not great yet.

I PMed you, Mobetter. I'm down for a NC ride. I can't wait.

Everyone else, thanks so much for your help!! The bike is running ok but the idle is just not right. I'm guessing its carbs.... also, the bike doesn't seem real rev-happy in the upper gears I'm not sure why. Since this is my first GS, I don't know how it is supposed to run.

Joshua

Comment

Working...
            X