swing arm bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

swing arm bearing

I have a 1980 GS750E with a loose swing arm, the Clymer manual states that I need a special puller to remove the swing arm bearings. Is this a fact or can I use anoter method.

thanks,
    Ron

Swing arm bearings

There are other ways but they involve extreme violence.
    No 1:Once you've got the two end bushes and central spacer out,insert a drift from one end,wedge it against the edge of the bearing at the other end and drive it out with a large hammer.This will trash the bearing but you're gonna replace it anyway.Repeat for the other bearing!Very therapeutic! 8)
    No 2:With a medium flat blade screwdriver prise the roller cage from the inside of the bearing,cut a couple of small notches in the lip of the bearing outer then tap a very small,cheap flat blade screwdriver between the swingarm wall and the bearing outer.This will trash the screwdriver(hence cheap),but should fold the bearing outer in on itself,giving enough space to get a pair of long nosed pliers onto it.A good pull and it comes loose.
    No 3:Pay someone else to do it!(Never done this as I'm too damn' cheap!)
    8)

Comment

Swing arm bearings

Oh aye,while I remember,when the swingarm's off fit a grease nipple.Pump it full of grease every oil change and yer bearings'll last for years.Do the same to the headstock for the steering head bearings. 8)

Comment

I paid the Suzuki dealer in the town next to me to pull mine. Talk about getting lucky. He did it while I waited (I brought just the swingarm in) and charged all of 15 US bucks! New bearings were a little pricey but I had rear suspension again. Lee's Suzuki in Harrodsburg KY, a righteous shop

Comment

Thanks guy's,

Think I'll go with Dougie's therapeutic method :twisted:

R.

Comment

Let us know how you make out. Ive been wanting to do the bearings on my 1100EZ. It kinda weaves at speed. Orig shocks dont help much I bet. Where will you get the bearings ?

Comment

I picked them up from the local suzuki shop $15.00 CDN each. I hope to do the job this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes.

R.

Comment

Finished the job yesterday, two hours and a little heat to get the old bearings out and I'm back on the road happy and handling sweet in the corners again 8). The bike was new to me in the spring and it's my guess that these bearing have never seen grease in the last 24 years. The outer casings of the bearings themselves were so dry and siezed in place I had to use a torch to heat the swing arm in order to get them out. Other than that it was remarkably straight forward.

Thanks for the advise, you guys rock!

R.

Comment

Swing arm bearing

Cool!

Comment

Working...
                  X