Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 1100E problem

nice forum, bin lurking awhile.

i bought a 1983 gs1100E in great shape, when i bought it the battery dummy light was on. it turns off and on once in awhile, yesturday i began getting ruff idle and it wants to stall. also the exhast note changed, sounding almost like a boxer 4 engine. but it only sounds like this when cruising (not much stress) when you twist your rist it all feels great. when blimping the throttle i noticed a poping, checked the plugs and there all running just alittle on the lean side. now could this be a carb problem or does the battery light have something to do with it? is there some i should check? thanks for any help.

btw - its completly stock, 20k miles.

Re: 83 1100E problem

Originally posted by jubba
    nice forum, bin lurking awhile.

i bought a 1983 gs1100E in great shape, when i bought it the battery dummy light was on. it turns off and on once in awhile, yesturday i began getting ruff idle and it wants to stall. also the exhast note changed, sounding almost like a boxer 4 engine. but it only sounds like this when cruising (not much stress) when you twist your rist it all feels great. when blimping the throttle i noticed a poping, checked the plugs and there all running just alittle on the lean side. now could this be a carb problem or does the battery light have something to do with it? is there some i should check? thanks for any help.

btw - its completly stock, 20k miles.
    The battery light is suppose to indicate low battery acid level...shouldn't have anything to do with a rough idle or changed exhaust note.

Hap

Comment

woot

well, filled the battery up and it solved my problems. but i think its time for a new one. thanks.

Comment

Just for grins and giggles you may want to go to the Stator pages here

These bikes have the bad habit of losing both the Stator and Regulator/Rectfier over time. These little buggers will cause havoc with your charging system.
        Not to say this will happen to you but worth a head's up.
        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
        2000 Kawasaki Concours
        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

When you change the battery, you can save $$$ by doing away with the sensor light, just get a regular battery

Comment

Re: woot

Originally posted by jubba
            well, filled the battery up and it solved my problems. but i think its time for a new one. thanks.

That was an easy fix. Not sure it makes sense to me though. :?
            Possible incorrect voltage to the coils because of the low level? I know my friends Harley was backfiring and eventually would stall and die during our rides. Twice, we put in a new battery and it seemed fine for awhile. Then we later had more problems and it turned out to be a reg/rec problem and the battery was over-heating from the voltage being too high. A new reg/rec fixed it permanently.
            Just to be sure, I would test your reg/rec and make sure it's working right.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

It's not an indication of charging. It's like a check engine light for the battery. Battery need service!

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                When you change the battery, you can save $$$ by doing away with the sensor light, just get a regular battery
                I just reused the old sensor. How do you delete the sensor? I seem to remember someone saying the sensor lead should be grounded.

Comment

Working...
                X