choosing a Honda r/r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

choosing a Honda r/r

Does anyone know how to match a Honda regulator/rectifier to a particular bike? I need to replace my r/r and I don't want to shell out for an Electrex unit. Seems like the wrong r/r could damage the stator so I want to get the right one. The stock unit on my GS750 only regulates one phase, which is maybe not a good design, but will it cause problems if I replace it with a unit that regulates all three phases?

Thanks,
    Graeme

All three stages should be regulated use late 78- 82 Honda reg/rect

Comment

I heard that they work....but that its destined to burn up after a few years at best. I'de go for the unit that's specifically designed for my bike, even if its a little more $$ right now. AND...its new. You'll end up spending that eventually if you need to replace multiple units.

Comment

I have had a Honda reg/rect on my GS850 for over two years with NO problems. IT is not destined to burn up. If you compare the oem suzuki to the Honda part The first thing you will notice is that in most applications it will mount in the same mounting holes. The second thing is the wiring is much heaver on the Honda reg

Comment

Look up the electrolex site. They have a cross reference chart to your bike. By checking the reg/rec code you can check which other bikes are the same as yours.

Comment

Honda r/r

Try a CB400N (Superdream) one.Check out this thread
            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...r=asc&start=15 for wiring instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by colandroe
              Look up the electrolex site. They have a cross reference chart to your bike. By checking the reg/rec code you can check which other bikes are the same as yours.
              The Electrex regulator for my bike is RR10 and the only other make that uses it is some models of Kawasaki, but "with slight mods". The Hondas all have different r/r's. The CB400 originally had a Shindengen SH 232-12, and the Electrex replacement is RR18. So what's the difference between the RR18 and the RR10, besides $13?

Comment

Aside from physical size and the number of and color coding of the wiring connections, the difference is capacity. The R/R must be matched to the stator output and the bike's electrical consumption. That is why you cannot swap any old R/R into your bike. You might need a new battery for your car, but you wouldnt put a "D" cell flashlight battery in its place because they are both batteries would you? :-)

Earl

Originally posted by pukeyshoes
                Originally posted by colandroe
                The Electrex regulator for my bike is RR10 and the only other make that uses it is some models of Kawasaki, but "with slight mods". The Hondas all have different r/r's. The CB400 originally had a Shindengen SH 232-12, and the Electrex replacement is RR18. So what's the difference between the RR18 and the RR10, besides $13?
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by 80gs1000e
                  I heard that they work....but that its destined to burn up after a few years at best.
                  Sorry, I have to call bull s h i t on that one! I've had a used Honda one (Shindengen SH232-12) on my GS750 for at least 6 years with no problems. It even bolts up to threaded holes on the bottom of the battery box! I put the same one on my 1100, and the bolt holes line up to the stock reg/rec mounting holes. My friend who operates a motorcycle salvage shop recommends this upgrade, and has done it for years. In fact, he rarely has any on the shelf, as demand, (GSs) is greater than supply (Honda).
                  Kevin
                  E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                  "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                  Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I just bought a Shindengen Sh232-12 from a Honda cx500 on Ebay. We'll see how it works. There is an identical r/r currently being auctioned on Ebay if anyone is interested. The seller said in an email that it is the SH232-12, but she doesn't know if it works:

Comment

Try here for CX500 Honda wiring diagrams in color.
                      ftp://ftp.dimensional.com/users/gizmo42/
                      Just found a Shindengen SH538-12 1.8 from a 1982 Honda CX500 Custom. Hope it works. Looks like most of the posts about the wiring up of these regulators were right on. Isn't the internet a wonderful tool?
                      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I jsut picked up a Shindegen SH222-12. the CX500 uses the same part. I think we should create a list of the OEM parts ;-) Versus saying it came from a honda cx500. .Teh one here came from a KZ440.
                        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

I just discovered the regulator I found was actually from a 1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing, not the CX500 as stated. The CX500 will work properly as well. The only visable difference is it has a three prong plug and a six prong plug instead of two three prong plugs as on the CX500 regulator. It may have a larger capacity, I don't know for sure. The only extra wires are an extra ground wire and an extra +12VDC wire. I wired one positive directly to the battery and one to the red bullet connector on the Suzuki wiring harness. As for the grounds I wired one to the battery and one to the R/R mounting bolt. Sounds a little reduntant but I'm not going to have connection problems this way. The three yellow wires from the three prong connector go to the stator wires and the small black wire went to a switched +12VDC. In my case (1979 GS1000) it was the orange/white wire on the back of the fuse block marked ignition. If you check the Electrex Honda charts it shows this one as the RR65 which crosses over to quite a few Honda models thus opening up the selection of available R/R's for use on our Suzuki's..
                          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro
                            I jsut picked up a Shindegen SH222-12. the CX500 uses the same part. I think we should create a list of the OEM parts ;-) Versus saying it came from a honda cx500. .Teh one here came from a KZ440.
                            The r/r I bought came from a CX500 and it is SH232-12, not SH222-12. No idea what the difference is. It's kind of annoying to see all these other models of Shindengen regulators selling on eBay for really cheap, but not being able to bid on them because I have no idea whether they would work. Even though they would probably be fine. I agree a parts compatibility list or database would be useful. For the record I paid $35 for my r/r... and it finally arrived today. I will try to install it tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks Sandy for the link to the cx500 electrical diagrams. The wires from my r/r match perfectly!

Comment

Working...
                              X