No announcement yet.

Little help diagnosing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last night I stayed up and took the chain off. It is perfect. No stiff links. Anyway, I started it up and put it in gear without the chain. Still had a major banging going on. It is not the chain or spockets. The amount of chain tension difference is minute, I think we concentrated on that too much, I shouldn't have even brought it up. The tension would change from about an inch of play (perfect, as the shop maunal says) to an inch and a half. No big deal. Also, the chain would go 5 or 10 revolutions and then "BANG", the wheel would almost stop, and then it would get going again slowly. If my chain was the problem, it would happen every revolution of the chain. It also wouldn't get worse as the bike gets hotter.

I believe my test proves it's a problem in the case. I'm gonna take the clutch off and start there. I'll let you know what I find out.

But no one answered my initial question here, question #1, when your bike is not running and in gear, how much can you rock your bike back and forth? I would call this gear slop (possibly), and the answer might tell me where to start.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

With the bike in 1st gear, I can roll the bike 4 inches.

Earl

Originally posted by Jethro
      But no one answered my initial question here, question #1, when your bike is not running and in gear, how much can you rock your bike back and forth? I would call this gear slop (possibly), and the answer might tell me where to start.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

With the bike in 1st gear, I can roll the bike 4 inches.

Earl
        Well, that's about what I got too. I think I'm gonna junk this thing and get myself a new Bandit 12.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
        X