Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Gosh GS650 Woes! Engine revs to 9k after starting..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Gosh GS650 Woes! Engine revs to 9k after starting..

Ok.. This is not a good thing.
    1982 GS 650 with mikuni cv 32mm carbs

I just cleaned out the the carbs top to bottom. New plugs, stock airbox installed. Throttle cable is not hanging up. With or without the choke this beast revs as soon as you start it up. Obviously i hit the killswitch as fast as possible. I tried adjusting the idle mixure screws from all the way in to 2.5 turns out.. no change.

Just prior to this I had it running (just to test the cleaned carbs) with the airbox off and it was idling fine but would stall if you turned off the choke or gave it fuel.

Looking for any suggestions. I am at a loss at this point.

I have this exact same problem with my 1985 Suzuki GS 700. I didn't understand how the idle screw worked, so I took the carburetor off and now I get that, so after I put it back on I hope it will work - any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Re: My Gosh GS650 Woes! Engine revs to 9k after starting..

Between your #2 and $3 carbs on the airbox side, you will find a knurled idle adjustment knob/screw. Look at your throttle linkage on the carbs as you turn the idle adjustment screw counterclockwise to reduce idle. You will see the carb linkage lower and lower and lower, until it is down all the way. Once the linkage is at the bottom of its travel, continue looking at it while turning the idle adjustment screw clockwise, As soon as you see any movement in the throttle linkage raising (on the side of any of the carbs)
      turn the idle adjustment screw in about two turns. Start the bike, turn the adjustment screw to maintain a 1200 rpm idle. Once the bike is warmed up, you will need to reduce the idle setting to maintain a 1200 rpm idle.

Earl

Originally posted by Somed00d
      Ok.. This is not a good thing.
      1982 GS 650 with mikuni cv 32mm carbs

I just cleaned out the the carbs top to bottom. New plugs, stock airbox installed. Throttle cable is not hanging up. With or without the choke this beast revs as soon as you start it up. Obviously i hit the killswitch as fast as possible. I tried adjusting the idle mixure screws from all the way in to 2.5 turns out.. no change.

Just prior to this I had it running (just to test the cleaned carbs) with the airbox off and it was idling fine but would stall if you turned off the choke or gave it fuel.

Looking for any suggestions. I am at a loss at this point.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

no luck

Thanks for the suggestion Earl. I tried that. With the knob backed all the way out it is still doing the same thing. Not sure how this is possibly happening. I soaked the carbs in carb-dip so i know they are clean....
        I dont think a plugged jet or passage would cause this behavior anyhow

Richard

Comment

Re: no luck

For rpm to increase, the slides in the carbs MUST be raised. For that to happen, either the throttle linkage is being pulled, or the slides are installed incorrectly and jammed into the top of the carbs with no travel possible.

Have you looked into the airbox/intake side of the carbs to visually verify the slides are resting all the way down in the carbs?

Have you tried disconnecting the throttle cable and started the engine.
          (Since you do not use throttle anyway when starting, this would verify that the problem is not something in the cable travel adjustment.)

When you start the bike with the choke, have you visually verified that returning the choke to the off position does return the choke linkages on the carbs to the off position?

The engine cannot rev to 9K if the carb slides are not raising.

Earl

Thanks for the suggestion Earl. I tried that. With the knob backed all the way out it is still doing the same thing. Not sure how this is possibly happening. I soaked the carbs in carb-dip so i know they are clean....
          I dont think a plugged jet or passage would cause this behavior anyhow

Richard

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

makes no sense

The slides are free sliding and are down when the engine is not running. not sure exactly whats happening when it is running. I can push on the slides they move all the way up and when i release they come all the way down.

I have tried with no throttle cable attached still same.

When the choke is off the choke slides go all the way in.

I am not exactly sure how the slides themselves work i presume they are vacuum based?

Richard

Comment

Re: makes no sense

There is a vacuum relief port on the right side of carb 4 and on the left side of carb 1. The hoses on those ports/fittings should be vented to atomsphere. You dont have the two ports connected with a single hose by chance?

Earl

The slides are free sliding and are down when the engine is not running. not sure exactly whats happening when it is running. I can push on the slides they move all the way up and when i release they come all the way down.

I am not exactly sure how the slides themselves work i presume they are vacuum based?

Richard

Comment

There is an internal bypass/vacuum bleed channel in the carb body and vacuum is balanced by the spring located on top of the slide. You DID put the springs back in didnt you? LOL :-) :-)

Earl

Richard

Comment

hahaha yes the springs are back in! Now this vacuum port is not famillar to me. I do have two T's in between 1and2 and 3and4 of thats what your talking about. Those i thought we overflows but they are vented to atmosphere separatly. Perhaps they are pinched somehow..
                  i will check that in the morning

Comment

I dont have a 650, so I can only say for a fact how my 750 is set up.
                    Carb 1 and 2 vacuums are TEE'd together to atomsphere. Carb 3 vacum operates the petcock. Carb 4 vacuum goes to atomsphere.

Earl

Richard

Comment

ahh

ahh ok.. on my carbs i only have one vacuum port for the petcock..
                      I am getting a second set of carbs soon so i am going to rebuild those and see if the problem still persists..

Comment

Re: ahh

I assume you have the boots tight, the airbox in place with a filter and have the float bowl floats set to the correct height? If the 650 carb rack only has the one vacuum port and that is used to operate the petcock, I dont think that could be the problem.

Earl

ahh ok.. on my carbs i only have one vacuum port for the petcock..
                        I am getting a second set of carbs soon so i am going to rebuild those and see if the problem still persists..

Comment

more info

Yeah i spent a long time making sure it was all together good. I took all the boots off and inspected them, o-rings are good, i used RTV Silicone to hold the boots in the airbox, they were a little loose fitting previously.

Comment

Re: more info

On the forward face of the carbs (the side between the carb rack and the cylinder head), you will see in each carb throat (when the carbs are removed from the induction boots) a round plate. That is the throttle plate. That plate is moved mechanically by the throttle position. If that plate is closed, it is not possible for the engine rpm to increase beyond what can be caused by leaning or richening the mixture screws. If the throttle cable is disconnected, then it is not possible to actuate the throttle plates. So.........for the idle to increase, either the throttle plates are well open when the linkage is in the return/off position, or the throttle plates are jammed in place and cannot move. Remove the carbs and check the throttle plate position on each carb. When the throttle linkage is in the idle position/off position, the throttle plates should be closed. There should beless than a 1/32" gap between the edge of the throttle plate and the surface of the carb throat.

Earl

Yeah i spent a long time making sure it was all together good. I took all the boots off and inspected them, o-rings are good, i used RTV Silicone to hold the boots in the airbox, they were a little loose fitting previously.

Comment

Ok, When i put them together it was not an issue but who knows now. I am going to have a look inside with a mirror through the airbox to see what the slides are doing and if they are up maybe i can see the throttle plates too..

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X