Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'85 suzuki gs 700 clutch cable replacement question

Hi,
    I just took apart my gear cover to see how my clutch cable is attached so I can replace it. When I took the cover off, it was very dirty, so I cleaned the inside out and when I was cleaning it, there was a pin that just pulled out when I pulled on it. This pin goes into the area where the clutch cable attaches. I put the pin back where it cam from, put the cover back on, and now, the clutch cable doesn't seem to have any affect on the gear shifting. I can shift the gears by hand, but when I'm in first, for instance, and I apply the clutch, it doesn't disengage the gear. I don't want to start up until I know that this is working correctly, and any informaton on how this pin relates to the function of the clutch engage/disengage would be greatly appreciated. I'm so happy to find this forum!

Re: '85 suzuki gs 700 clutch cable replacement question

Originally posted by ericgs700
    Hi,
    I just took apart my gear cover to see how my clutch cable is attached so I can replace it. When I took the cover off, it was very dirty, so I cleaned the inside out and when I was cleaning it, the clutch push rod just pulled out when I pulled on it. I put the rod back where it came from, put the cover back on, and now, the clutch cable doesn't seem to have any affect on the gear shifting. I can shift the gears by hand, but when I'm in first, for instance, and I apply the clutch, it doesn't disengage the gear. I don't want to start up until I know that this is working correctly, and any informaton on how this pin relates to the function of the clutch engage/disengage would be greatly appreciated. I'm so happy to find this forum!

Comment

Re: '85 suzuki gs 700 clutch cable replacement question

I dont have an 85 GS 700, so I dont know what type of clutch actuation arrangement you have. There are two types. The clutch platesand basket are located on the right side of the engine. On some GS models, the clutch cable goes into the Left side of the transmission just above the countershaft sprocket, on others, it crosses over the outside of the transmission and connects to a lever on the RIGHT side of the transmission housing. Does your clutch cable connect on the right or the left side? Setup is different, so let me know.

Earl

Hi,
      I just took apart my gear cover to see how my clutch cable is attached so I can replace it. When I took the cover off, it was very dirty, so I cleaned the inside out and when I was cleaning it, there was a pin that just pulled out when I pulled on it. This pin goes into the area where the clutch cable attaches. I put the pin back where it cam from, put the cover back on, and now, the clutch cable doesn't seem to have any affect on the gear shifting. I can shift the gears by hand, but when I'm in first, for instance, and I apply the clutch, it doesn't disengage the gear. I don't want to start up until I know that this is working correctly, and any informaton on how this pin relates to the function of the clutch engage/disengage would be greatly appreciated. I'm so happy to find this forum!
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

side of the bike for clutch cable

Hi Earl,
        Thanks for your reply, I'm looking forward to figuring this out! The clutch cable enters the bike on the left side, the same side as the clutch hand lever and shifter. When I took the sprocket cover off, the clutch push rod was in the clutch itself, and as I was wiping junk out of the area around the sprocket I just pulled on the clutch push rod and it came right out, and seemed to go back in the same way.
        Thanks for your thoughts -
        Eric

Comment

clutch

after having that cover off and reinstalling it you have to adjust your cable first, at the housing. first screw in the adjuster at the lever all the way in. then loosen the lock nut at the cable on the housing side and turn the threaded end until you get the proper amount of play at the lever. then
          (and this is really important and somewhat hard to explain) you will see and nut and slooted screw in the centre of it on the side of that cover(its under another smaller cover that comes off on my bike). back off the lock nut and with a small screwdriver turn that slotted screw clockwise until you feel resistance against the screw. then turn the screw counter clockwise about a 1/4 turn. then hold the screw in position and retighten the lock nut.................you should be good to go..................... 8O

Comment

Re: side of the bike for clutch cable

Jonathan already answered your question for me. :-0

Earl

Hi Earl,
            Thanks for your reply, I'm looking forward to figuring this out! The clutch cable enters the bike on the left side, the same side as the clutch hand lever and shifter. When I took the sprocket cover off, the clutch push rod was in the clutch itself, and as I was wiping junk out of the area around the sprocket I just pulled on the clutch push rod and it came right out, and seemed to go back in the same way.
            Thanks for your thoughts -
            Eric
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your thoughts on this. I'll follow this advice and go from there. This forum is so great I am going to look into becoming a supporting member. Take care -
              Eric

Comment

Working...
              X