Really stiff clutch '83 gs550e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really stiff clutch '83 gs550e

My clutch is very difficult to pull in. We think it's a worn or warped clutch plate. I went out to www.bikebandit.com and found EBC replacement clutch plate kit... On www.denniskirk.com I found another brand called Vesrah...

Does anyone have an opinion of one versus another?

Maybe another idea?

Re: Really stiff clutch '83 gs550e

I could be just corrosion inside the cable sheath binding the cable. Have you disconnected the clutch CABLE ends and tried pulling it back and forth in the sheath with two fingers? It should slide feather easily.

As a rule, I prefer Vesrah parts, but there isnt anything wrong with EBC either.

Earl

Originally posted by skreemer
    My clutch is very difficult to pull in. We think it's a worn or warped clutch plate. I went out to www.bikebandit.com and found EBC replacement clutch plate kit... On www.denniskirk.com I found another brand called Vesrah...

Does anyone have an opinion of one versus another?

Maybe another idea?
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I don't feel any "grinding" or anything that would indicate corrosion. (I've brought quite a few bicycles back from teh brink of death.. cables are a friend of mine) It just feels like there are some REALLY FREAKING heavy clutch springs installed. That's the path I'd like to chase right now. The bike also has a big issue with clutch drag. pull the clutch past the 1/2" where the clutch actually engages, and it drags all the way back to the grip. You could actually ride the bike with the amount of drag that's there....

sometime this week I'll be investigating the cable... but I don't think it's the cable.
      You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
      If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
      1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
      1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
      1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
      1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
      1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Probably worn or warped plates then. Have to pull it apart and mic it.

Earl

Originally posted by Nerobro
        I don't feel any "grinding" or anything that would indicate corrosion. (I've brought quite a few bicycles back from teh brink of death.. cables are a friend of mine) It just feels like there are some REALLY FREAKING heavy clutch springs installed. That's the path I'd like to chase right now. The bike also has a big issue with clutch drag. pull the clutch past the 1/2" where the clutch actually engages, and it drags all the way back to the grip. You could actually ride the bike with the amount of drag that's there....

sometime this week I'll be investigating the cable... but I don't think it's the cable.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Are dial calipers accurate enough? (I can reliably take readings to the .001) or do I need to go scrounge up a nice set of micrometers...
          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Working...
          X