Won't start when hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't start when hot

1982 GS1100G. The bike won't start (behaves like the battery is almost drained) after riding for a while. But, after letting the bike cool down it will start with no problem.
    I had the starter rebuilt last year and just installed a new battery and neither helped.

Any suggestions as to what could cause this?

My Honda CBX 1047, 1979 was exactly the same and I tried a lot of things, in the end it was the battery itself, which was bad, and after I replaced the battery the bike started as it should warm and cold.

You wrote you already changed the battery so I don't know, but this was the error on my Honda......

Comment

next time get a big screwdriver and try jumping the starter relay to see if that helps, you could still have a bad starter, or bad start switch, bad connections. Someone made comment that if the starter housing bolts are to tight it can cause the starter to drag.(Not the mounting bolts)

Comment

My CB 1100 F was doing the exact same thing when I baught it. Found the previous owner had installed a battery one size smaller than it needed.

Comment

First thing I would check for is a bad ground.....expands when hot and the ground becomes poor, but is OK when it cools and contracts. Had the same problem on a brand new Ford years ago. It was under warranty, but mechanics could not find the problem....always worked for them. Pulled off the cables and found a slightly bent washer between the ground cable and the engine block. Threw it away and had no more starting problems.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
          X