Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat interchanging.....?

Howdy,

Does anyone know if a seat from an '82 GS650L will fit a '79 GS1000L model? Or maybe someone knows if the frames are different sizes too, that would tell me .. (i think)

Thanks

mrb1962,

Sorry bud, you're out of luck trying to find a seat off any other GS from any other year to fit your 1979 GS1000L. I've got one, been there, done that, searching for an interchange. 1979 L model seats are unique to that year. Its possible you could get a 1979 750L or 550L seat to fit with a few slight mods. The 1000L frame is slightly different, but you could make it work.

If your seat pan is decent, you can get a brand-new replacement foam and cover kit from Travelcade/Saddlemen.

Comment

bgk

I wish i had a seat pan for it. Just got this bike as a fixer and it has the wrong seat. Totally wrong seat, maybe from a Honda.......

So totally undoable mod wise for any years/models other than 79 your saying? Have welder, could make fit......IF width and length okay.....(I dont have a seat stretcher, haha)

Comment

the seats for the 550 are interchangeable from 77-79...side locking mechanism.

i thought the GS1000's were the same?

Comment

The GS1000 does have the side locking mechanism on the frame....
          What I dont know is seat size (frame size at the seat area) for the 550/750L models...or any other years and models that would fit the 1000 !

Comment

Guys,

It's the 1979 "L" models that have the non-interchange problem.

Some of the "standard" model seats from 1979 interchange with other years and/or other engine sizes, but not the "L" models!

Again, you might be able to get a 1979 550L or 750L seat to work on a 1979 GS1000L frame with slight or maybe even no mods.

But nothing from any other year would work without mods.

Comment

Working...
            X