Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch lever no resistance ... after replaced cover (?) ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch lever no resistance ... after replaced cover (?) ..

I replaced the sight glass successfully and thought I had the rod on the clutch in the same position as when I took the cover off .. but when I start the bike and put it in gear with the clutch lever pulled .. it is in gear ..

is it possible I got the "rod" from the clutch in another position .. or should I adjust the clutch .. up?

Thanks
    Gary

1981 GS850G

are you saying that it was in gear and when you let the clutch lever out it doesnt engage??

if so you have more than likely messed up when instaling the cover.

Comment

clutch lever ...

Scotty
      No. With my hand on the clutch lever on the handle bars engaged. I put it in gear .. the clutch isn't working.

Seems like there is no resistance on the clutch lever ...

GD

Comment

Re: Clutch lever no resistance ... after replaced cover (?)

I think there are only two possibilities. Either the gear on the shaft (inside the case) is not engaged correctly, or the actuator arm is in the wrong position. With the cable removed, and moving the actuator arm towards the engine with your finger, you should feel it stop (point where any free play ends) when the actuator arm is aprox inline with the case seam and pointing rearward.

Earl

Originally posted by gdtractor
        I replaced the sight glass successfully and thought I had the rod on the clutch in the same position as when I took the cover off .. but when I start the bike and put it in gear with the clutch lever pulled .. it is in gear ..

is it possible I got the "rod" from the clutch in another position .. or should I adjust the clutch .. up?

Thanks
        Gary

1981 GS850G
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I have had one clutch cover where the gear itself was slipping if i remember correctly but it is probably just a simple thing. Do it over again . you will probably have to take it apart any way. As long as you see the little lever on the top of the clutch cover moveing when you squeeze the clutch lever then the trouble is probablyinside. if the lever is not moving much it could possibly be a stretched or breaking cable. But it is easy to put the clutch cover on wrong as simple as it looks.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks much
            GD

Comment

Re: Clutch lever no resistance ... after replaced cover (?)

Been there and didn't install the actuator arm correctly......3 times.
              Live and learn, learned to double check what my Italian bro-in-law installed.

I went thru this earlier this year with my 1000S. 3 times the arm "moved" when re-installing. pain in the ass and after you do it a few times it gets easier. One of those things.......

But the joy of working on the bike makes up for it.

Originally posted by earlfor
              I think there are only two possibilities. Either the gear on the shaft (inside the case) is not engaged correctly, or the actuator arm is in the wrong position. With the cable removed, and moving the actuator arm towards the engine with your finger, you should feel it stop (point where any free play ends) when the actuator arm is aprox inline with the case seam and pointing rearward.

Earl

Originally posted by gdtractor

Thanks
              Gary

1981 GS850G
              Keith
              -------------------------------------------
              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Working...
              X