starter switch wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter switch wiring

I have a 78 gs1000. I was going down the road and noticed some wires hanging down from the right side handlebars. They must have broken after I started going. It is the two-wire set I suspect goes into the starter and on-off switch. I opened that up, but I cant find anywhere that looks like they broke from. Anyone have a diagram of this switch box?
    thanks alot in advance.

I'm guessing they are from the front brake light switch. Look on the underside of the front master cyl

Comment

oops, I forgot to also mention that now I have no power. I can't turn anything on. no start, no lights, etc.

Comment

What color do the wires have?

Comment

There is one white and one lt. blue.

Comment

You have no power because when you turn the ignition on, it feeds power through the kill switch, the starter switch, and then to the ignition.

Both wires should be positive, but one will power up when you turn on the ignition switch. That one is the power supply/power in. The other wire is the + power output to the wiring harness. (this is assuming I am understanding which wires you have disconnected)

Earl

Originally posted by bpage
            oops, I forgot to also mention that now I have no power. I can't turn anything on. no start, no lights, etc.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Any idea where they connect back to? I cant find where they would connect. It is apart right now, and it looks like the rest of the wires inside there are all soldered in good.

Comment

I took it apart and found that there is still two wires connected to the strter button, and two wires connected to the on/off switch. But that stil leaves me with the two wires (orange and white wrapped up together) that dont have a home, and a non-running bike!! I did check all the fuses, had to replace one, but now they are all good.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                  You have no power because when you turn the ignition on, it feeds power through the kill switch, the starter switch, and then to the ignition.

Both wires should be positive, but one will power up when you turn on the ignition switch. That one is the power supply/power in. The other wire is the + power output to the wiring harness. (this is assuming I am understanding which wires you have disconnected)

Earl

Originally posted by bpage
                  The kill switch should not affect your lights, should it?

Just for reference I'll link in a diagram for a 750L, which is the closest I could find to your bike. http://www.smokeriders.com/diagrams/...kes/GS750L.gif

Comment

thanks alot.that helps alot. and it does look like i those are the wires for the front brake light switch. but how would that affect everything else?? I know it did blow a fuse at first. is there another fuse apart from the main fuse box under left side cover??

Comment

anybody have any ideas, I still dont have it going.

Comment

anyone???

Comment

Working...
                        X