Clutch cable keeps breaking....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch cable keeps breaking....

Hi I've replace the clutch cable 3x in the past 2 years... Does anyone have any idea's as to why it keeps breaking? It always breaks at the lever....

79 gs 850

Thanks!

Perhaps part of your clutch assembly has been damaged and is cutting into your clutch cable?
    Is it properly lubricated at the clutch where it goes into the handle?

Dm of mD

Comment

My 850 I think has the original cable! I would replace the lever and get a OEM suzuki cable. Mine has a plastic piece that fits around the cable end that keeps the cable from twisting

Comment

Yeah it was initially lubricated, I also should mention that this bike is kept outdoors.

Comment

My clutch cable broke on my 1100 after 22 years of use. It had always been lubed and taken care of. I purchased a generic aftermarket cable but it lasted about 30 days. Next I bought a Motion Pro cable and it lasted about 3 months. After close inspection I noticed that the notch/hole in the clutch lever where the cable lug fits was worn to the point that it was egg-shaped. I soon figured out that it was not allowing the cable lug to rotate when the clutch lever was pulled in, thus flexing the wire strands until they began to fail. The fix was purchasing a new level and a new cable from Suzuki. The cost of the cable from Suzuki through Ron Ayers was the same price as the Motion Pro cable.

Hap

Comment

I had a similar problem. For now, I have tried to have the slot in the adjuster at the handlebars always facing towards me, so it give the cable just a hair more room in which to move in. I just tried that a few weeks ago, after having my last cable only last a month. Also, make sure when you pull the lever in, the cable is not getting hung up in the slot in the lever, and the cable end is not binding in the hole in the lever. Make sure too, that the lever is the correct one, with the slit for the cable deep enough. If it's not, the cable will bend on the lever, causing it to break there. 8)
            Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips....

Comment

Re: Clutch cable keeps breaking....

Too sharp a bend in the cable housing as it leaves the clutch lever. Reroute it to a more gradual curve.

Earl

Originally posted by adamocean
                Hi I've replace the clutch cable 3x in the past 2 years... Does anyone have any idea's as to why it keeps breaking? It always breaks at the lever....

79 gs 850

Thanks!
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                X