Tire Sizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire Sizing

Im in the market for new rubber for the '86 GS550ES. What is the rule of thumb for tire size from front wheel to back? Is it still one size larger than the front?

Me again...

This is from our collective (me and the 3 others who rode these in the 80's), we all stuck with the 100/90/16 inthe front and varied the rears from the stock 110/90/18, to 120/90/18, 120/80/18, 130/80/18 and my last tire 130/90/18. The bike really notices the taller tire on it (130/90/18) and you need to do a little surgery on the brake torque arm for it to fit (though the guy with the 130/80 didn't need to do any). I will need to buy another tire very soon, and I am going to miss the 130 (which rides and handle fine), but I am going with a 120/90 or even back to the 110/90, just for clearance sake.

There was no difference I could perceive in the handling of the bike between the 110 and the 130.

Kenny

Comment

Hey Kenny,
      Great info once again! What tire brand are you going with? I have a Metzeler ME33 Lazer up front and a matching Metzeler in back. I went with 110 upfront and 120 in back. The steering is a bit heavy so I may go back to the stock up front as well.

Comment

Now you will see my cheapness come out...I have ran Cheng Shin Hi Max's for quite a few years now. They work really well up to the chassis dragging stage, and last way longer than the Dunlops I used to buy. They are predictable tires, but I am sure a little newer technology would suprise the heck out of me.

My FJ has Metzlers, I love those things. The ME33 in the front and an ME55A in the rear. The Cheng Hi-Max is a copy of the Lazer and from 3 feet away is almost impossible to tell the difference.

Stick with what you like, though I think you should go back to the 100 on the front, I have never thought my bike felt heavy in the front, just the opposite normally.

Kenny

Comment

Well let me tell ya partner, I must be cheap now a day's as well as I was just looking in my Dennis Kirk catalog at those very same tires! Nothing cheap about it if they are the tires that work for you.

Comment

Dennis Kirk has some of the highest tire prices. Try Chaparralmotorsports.com. They are much better, I just ordered a set of Dunlop 208ZR's for $200 from them. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

Ahh hah,
              Now we're talking. I check it out! Thanks for the tip

Comment

Bridgestone BT45's came highly reccomended to me mainly because I'm going to be doing alot of back and forth to work... The cheapest place I could find em for was www.motorcyclemart.com ...

Comment

www.dicountmotorcycletire.com Give that a try. :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                  X