Fuel gauge useless......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel gauge useless......

Well, I still can't get it to work. Took the sending unit out of the tank when I was doing bodywork and gave it a nice cleaning. I guess it didn't matter. Anybody know of any kind of specific test I can do to it with my digital voltometer to see if its functional? Anybody ever get their fuel gauge to work? Should I just try and get a replacement?

I have an 1100 tank on my bike but the 1100 sending unit has been discontinued (34810-49202) I think............

Also....anybody know if any other sending units are compatible? I really want my fuel gauge to work! There is an 1150 unit on Ebay but I don't know if it'll fit....doubt it.

Full tank 1 - 5 ohms
    Half 25 - 40
    Empty 100 - 120

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
      Full tank 1 - 5 ohms
      Half 25 - 40
      Empty 100 - 120

Steve
      Excellent, but please help me to understand how to apply the test.....so I remove the unit....turn the electrics on and test....?? At the plug with the tester? I should move the arm around while testing right? I can only imagine the luxury of a fuel gauge.....

Comment

gauge

Could it be the gauge unit itself, jump across the two wires with the ignition on and the guage should read full.
        As Steve had said, check the resistance, move the gauge arm and note the resistance, it should be smooth with no severe jumps.....Mike

Comment

You disconnect the gas tank and measure the resistance of the sending unit across the terminals at different float heights.

Steve

Comment

i might be able to get you a sending unit...email me if you're interested and i can check. it wont be cheap i'm guessing...

Comment

NO POWER WHEN CHECKING RESISTANCE. It's not good for older multimeters.

I think new multimeters have built in safety features?

Comment

Working...
              X