No announcement yet.

Melted wires??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried a different mode (but still 250 VAC) and got 15-20 VAC from 2 phases and nothing from the other. Um, guess it's nuked. I'll still try the neighbor's multi in an hour or two.

Comment

I hope its your multimeter that has given up the ghost and not your stator.
      Unless of course, youre one of those electrical connoisseurs that HAS to have a $2500 Fluke meter. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by Paul Letby
      Thanks for the reply Earl. Unfortunately you describe exactly what I did, sorry I wasn't more clear. I am of the opinion that my multimeter (or maybe me the operator!) may be over the hill. I will borrow my neighbor's newer multimeter (and my neighbor...) and do the same check again. I'll get back with the results.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Re: Wires Melt

Originally posted by wilmas2cool
        We went through the same thing on our 81 GS1100e. Electrex RR fried after a few weeks. If you haven't already done this move the RR to the front of the frame below the streering head and rewire it where it can get proper cooling. All of the new bikes have their RR out in the airflow somewhere. Ours has been working good so far even in the Georgia heat and humidity this summer. I found that the area beneath the left side cover is an oven during riding. Not a good place for a device that needs to shed heat. Our charging system has been solid for the last several months. Hope this helps.
        A much easier fix is to go get a Computer case fan and mount it to the fins of the RR. it will cool it down and keep air constantly flowing over it even when you are stopped. I wired mine to a wire that is hot when the key comes on. voltage has been perfect.

Comment

Ran a ground from the R/R to the battery, seems to be working so far. Thanks for the tip Earl.

Comment

Working...
          X