GS850 stalling at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 stalling at idle

Let me say that I just got my first GS, a 1981 850, and it is freakin' awesome! I've logged a couple hundred miles in just the past day, and I can't stop thinking about the next time I can ride!
    That said, my GS has a problem at idle. After warming up, idle drops down to the 600-800 range and the bike dies if I'm sitting or rolling to a stop. The bike has been sitting for a couple of years, and I didn't do much before riding it, though I did check the air filter and it is definitely dirty. Could this be the cause? I was thinking about twisting something to adjust the idle, but I don't know what, where, or how to do it. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks

I would try cleaning or replacing the air filter first. If you have a paper filter, you must replace it. There's a good chance you'll have to clean the carbs, but maybe you'll be lucky and just do the filter thing. You can also turn the idle adjuster screwknob to increase the idle to about 1,100 rpm's when warmed up. That may be all you need, but do take care of the filter.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Air Filter

I went to buy an OEM replacement filter for my 81 GS850... $48 at the Suzuki shop!?! They sold me a K & N filter for $43. What's up with the high price and is a K & N a really good filter or what?

Comment

Re: Air Filter

Originally posted by dylpickle88
        I went to buy an OEM replacement filter for my 81 GS850... $48 at the Suzuki shop!?! They sold me a K & N filter for $43. What's up with the high price and is a K & N a really good filter or what?
        In my opinion, K&N's are the best. If you clean it correctly it will last the life of the bike. Just be sure to read and follow the cleaning/oiling instructions. If dirty, tap the excess dirt off then roll the filter in a shallow pan of K&N cleaner or MILD cleaner such as "409" diluted with water or a dish soap solution. Rinse from THE INSIDE OUT and let AIR DRY. NO HIGH PRESSURE WATER OR COMPRESSED AIR. Then oil with some K&N filter oil. Don't mess it up with motor oil or something.
        Unless you ride on dirt roads a lot, it will be quite a while between cleanings. These filters actually filter better when they're a little dirty. Just make sure they are oiled correctly.
        They do flow better than stock. You may want to adjust your mixture screws out, maybe 1/4 turn. Don't make any adjustments unless you need them. Your airbox lid should still be on or you'll run lean.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm a little hesitant to make any changes, I tried that with a bike I owned once and ended up way over my head! The shop had to order the K&N filter, it should be in tomorrow. I did adjust (what I presume is) the idle adjustment screw, and the bike is now idling right around 1200 - 1400 RPMs. Is this the correct idle speed? The raised idle has solved my stalling problem, but the bike still surges a bit throughout acceleration. I was wondering if maybe this could be due to bad gas or dirty carbs. Are there any fuel additive carb cleaners, or are these a bad idea? Thanks for the help.

Comment

Less than 3 weeks ago I put a K&N filter on my 81 GS850L. Total waste of money the bike would not run past 4000rpms, I know they are suppose to have more air flow, but you will notice that the bottom of the K&N is not open, like on the foam filter. Also replace the foam on the side panels and the foam strip on the top of air filter( you can use weatherstrip I got some from Auto Zone parts place). You have too make sure you get air box sealed because the cv carbs work off the neg air flow from box to work correctly.

Comment

Before pulling your hair out (and before spending another dime), check for intake leaks.

This website really needs a carb basic FAQ! A checklist of the top ten causes of overflow / erratic idle / etc.

Comment

About 1,100-1,200 rpm idle is good. I've never heard of the problem RMM1942 says he had. K&N's are known to be the best filters around.
                RMM1942, just curious, what do you mean the stock air filter is open on the bottom?

Comment

When you install the filter assembly the the bottom where you put it together with two screws that hold filter on, that side of the K&N is a solid panel, on the foam assembly air can flow thru this. The K&N will let air flow only on the sides. If I could post a picture it would explain it better. All I can say is it would not work on my bike.

Comment

I wish I could see a pic'. I think you described it OK though. The K&N could only mount one way? It's strange they would limit what models they fit because of a solid panel on one side. :?

Comment

Working...
                    X