Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad vibration 82 GS1100G...

Hi all!

I?m newly registered, but not new to this site. I have been coming to this site for advice and to read about GS bikes for a long time! I used to own a 1979 GS850GN for 10 years and racked up 85,000 miles before I sold it. Of all the bikes I have ridden and owned that 79 GS was my favorite! I loved that bike. Well, in January I purchased a 1982 GS1100G with 26,000 miles on it. When I got the bike home I did a complete tune-up on it and adjusted and fixed all the little things on it that were out of whack. The previous owner was definitely not a motorcyclist. I started to ride it to work in mid February. It runs good and strong, but was pinging really badly. So, I cleaned the carbs up and that improved it, but it was still pinging pretty badly. I read some posts on this web site and decided to check the timing to be sure it wasn?t tampered with. It does have the electronic advance so there is nothing to adjust, but I wanted to have a look anyway. Now while this bike does run good and strong, it always had a stumble to it that wasn?t cleared up by the carb cleaning. When I looked at the timing with a timing light I saw that the timing was dead on, but there was a huge miss in the ignition which could be clearly seen. I figured that the coils / wires were going and I replaced them with Dyna coils and wires.

I still had a pinging problem and the stumble after those items were replaced. Also the bike started to show some oil leaks. After reading some more posts I installed a Dyna 2000 ignition kit and re-built the cam-chain tensioner. I did this 2 weeks ago and have been riding the bike to work every day since. It runs great now and the leaks are gone. Until yesterday. I was riding home from work and I started to hear this loud buzzing noise between 3500 and 4000 RPM. I thought it was a loose fairing mount or something, but upon inspection everything looks tight. When the bike is parked on its center stand and I rev the engine up to around 3600 RPM I can hear and see the engine vibrate badly! I have no idea what is causing this but it does distress me and I don?t want to drive it until I have this resolved.

Any ideas from you Gurus out there? I love this bike and I?m trying to get it as perfect as possible. I do commute with it and plan on taking a long trip on it next summer. It had 30,700 miles on it when I did that last bit of work on it and it now has 31,100 miles on it. I apologize for the long post, but I?m trying to be as detailed as possible and not run too long (uh-oh, too late :roll: ).

Thanks in advance!

Gsg4ever

Any ideas from you Gurus out there?
    Not a guru by any means, but have a look at your motor mounts. A sudden change like that (with no engine performance changes) makes me think of a mount coming loose.

Mark

Comment

Thanks for the advice Mark. I'll give that a shot this weekend and let you know if that was it.

Mike

Comment

vibes

A slight misfire of one cylinder can cause a pretty noticable vibration. Since you were into the ignition system. I had that once with a cracked spark plug on a 79 GS850. Love this website . It's like going to Suzuki Motorcycle college.

Comment

Yo!

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to this post and tell you what I found. It ended up being a broken tab (the bottom one) for the left side engine case saver (the brakets that stick out from the front sides of the engine). It busted completey off and it was the cause of the nasty vibration. A friend of mine welded it back together, and no more "bad" vibrations!

Comment

Working...
          X