Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improving gas mileage?

Folks,

What would you do to a 1982-vintage 450 to improve gas mileage?

Mine runs well, but I can only go about 90 to 95 miles on a full tank before I have to switch over to the reserve. It just seems like it should go a little farther. About 80% of my riding is on the freeway (45+ mph, very few stops).

Your thoughts?

Dave

P.S. I haven't checked anything - plugs, compression, etc. D.

Could you give that to me in what you are getting in miles per gallon? I have no idea how much fuel you are using to go 90-95 miles. :-)

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Tire Pressure

I have found one of the easiest things to check is tire pressure, if your tires are a little low it can have a pretty big effect on mileage. Also, use a pressure gauge, just kicking the tires or something like that will not cut it. Check your manual for proper pressures.

Luke

Comment

It's usually about 2.5 gallons to top up the tank, although I've used some (maybe 5 miles' worth) of the reserve by the time I do that. My rough guess is I'm getting about 30 to 35 mpg.

I don't have an operator's manual for the bike, so I'm not sure where to find the correct tire pressure. Is there anything like a car emission sticker that would have the proper pressure right on the bike?

I do have a Clymer repair manual. I'll see if it lists the pressure in there.

Thanks folks!

Dave

Comment

Around here freeway riding is about 80 or 85 and if I do much of it my gas mileage drops off.

Judging by my son's Vulcan 500 and the old Honda 400E we had I would think that you should be able to get 50 mpg or so.

I get low 40s on my GS750 but if I slow down and ride a tank at 55 it gets up to the high 40s.

Comment

My wife's 1980 Kawaski 440 twin would get about 50 MPG, but it needed to switch to reserve at 95-105 miles.

Comment

Thats pretty dismal for a 450. My 1150 gets 38 mpg at a steady 70-75 mph and 41 at 60-65. Do you have the stock toothed countershaft and rear sprocket? Do you have the stock exhaust and airbox? Does the bike have an electronic ignition or is it points? If electronic ignition, is it adjustable?
              Have you checked compression. As compression goes down due to wear, gas milage decreases also. The first thing I would check is the compression.
              The next thing to check is valve clearances. After that, ignition system and last, carburation.

Earl

[quote="Hinermad"]It's usually about 2.5 gallons to top up the tank, although I've used some (maybe 5 miles' worth) of the reserve by the time I do that. My rough guess is I'm getting about 30 to 35 mpg.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by Hinermad
                It's usually about 2.5 gallons to top up the tank, although I've used some (maybe 5 miles' worth) of the reserve by the time I do that. My rough guess is I'm getting about 30 to 35 mpg.

I don't have an operator's manual for the bike, so I'm not sure where to find the correct tire pressure. Is there anything like a car emission sticker that would have the proper pressure right on the bike?

I do have a Clymer repair manual. I'll see if it lists the pressure in there.

Thanks folks!

Dave
                For tyre pressures try 28 front 32 rear solo,30 front 35 rear with pillion,
                My 550 gets 40 mpg(Imperial) round town and 50-55 at a steady 70.Daft question (sorry) but do you use all the gears?

Comment

Originally posted by Dougie
                  For tyre pressures try 28 front 32 rear solo,30 front 35 rear with pillion,
                  My 550 gets 40 mpg(Imperial) round town and 50-55 at a steady 70.Daft question (sorry) but do you use all the gears?
                  A fair question. Yes, I use all 7 gears. (Sometimes I don't make it all the way into second and hit neutral. (Grin) Not very often, though.) I confess I'm not at all familiar with the ideal shift points. I'm frequently shifting around 4000 rpm, just based on sound & feel, although I notice the engine spins at 5000 to cruise at 55 mph. Could I wait and shift at a higher rpm?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                    Thats pretty dismal for a 450. My 1150 gets 38 mpg at a steady 70-75 mph and 41 at 60-65. Do you have the stock toothed countershaft and rear sprocket? Do you have the stock exhaust and airbox? Does the bike have an electronic ignition or is it points? If electronic ignition, is it adjustable? Have you checked compression. As compression goes down due to wear, gas milage decreases also. The first thing I would check is the compression. The next thing to check is valve clearances. After that, ignition system and last, carburation.
                    Countershaft and sprocket - don't know, suspect stock.
                    Exhaust and airbox - pretty sure they're stock.
                    Electronic ignition - don't know.

Haven't checked compression - I don't have a gauge. (Dad had one and Mom wants me to get rid of his tools, so I may be able to use his. Otherwise I'll have to go get one.)

Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't sure the carb was worth digging into yet. (Cleaning the carb seems to be a popular cure for a lot of woes.) Sounds like I have some other work to do first.

Dave

Comment

Okay, round 2 with the questions:

How much does the brand of gasoline you use affect your gas mileage? Is it noticeable?

Dave

Comment

A fair question. Yes, I use all 7 gears.
                        Dave

8O 8O 8O

You have 7 gears?
                        Where can I get one of those transmissions?!?!?!?

Dm of mD

Comment

Changing brand of gas or octane rating makes zero difference to either the 750 or the 1150.

Earl

Okay, round 2 with the questions:

How much does the brand of gasoline you use affect your gas mileage? Is it noticeable?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
                            A fair question. Yes, I use all 7 gears.
                            Dave
                            You have 7 gears?
                            Where can I get one of those transmissions?!?!?!?

Dm of mD
                            It's easy - just don't lift your left foot quite so hard when shifting out of first. It's that "infinite" (or "infinitely small") gear that's so hard on gas mileage.

Dave

Comment

<Okay, round 2 with the questions:

Dave>

The only time octane makes any difference, is in performance. The higher the octane, the slower it burns. The longer the burn, the more pressure can be made to push the piston, wich results in more power. Of course you need to have your timing set if you want higher octanes to be used properly.
                              I have to laugh when I see people at the pumps throwing Super Unleaded in their average cars. They're paying more for no gain what so ever...unless they re-timed their cars to run on Super...

(p.s. it takes more refining to make Regular Unleaded then it does to make Super Unleaded. Yet they charge you less for the Regular).

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X