Fork Brace Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Brace Install

i picked up a NOS Daytona Fork Brace for my GS550 on ebay. It comes with instructions but no pictures....

has anyone done this before? do you have a picture of it on your bike?

i found this,

which looks easy enough. i've seen a few with the fork brace up around the rubber part, but that doesn't make sense to me.

any thoughts? i'm going to install this tonight in a few hours. i will check back before i start.

~Adam

Do it as shown in the pic. DO NOT mount it on the dust covers for the fork seals.

Comment

i just took a look at my bike after i came back from riding it. i am using a fender off another GS 550, i think an 80-82. it did not fit easily into place when i swapped them...and now it looks like it is EVEN with the main tubes on the fork.

my brace is about 1/2" thick, so i'm leary it's going to fit. i'm going out there now, taking my camera too.

Comment

here's my fork brace episode walkthrough...

my fender installed on the forks...notice how 'lined up' it is with the bottom of the fork area, with the rubber.

fork brace middle set in place. notice how the bolt holes are about in the middle of the clamp area...

fork middle

clamps on

clamps on and zoomed in, notice the area of 'non contact' with the circle around the fork.

zoomed in area...what is limited the fork from coming down all the way.

i think i can try to grind the edge there in the picture above. if i can get it down enough the brace may come down farther.

i'm assuming it's agreed the fork brace shouldn't be installed like in the above pictures, yeah?

~Adam

Comment

I am no expert, Adam. I agree with you, that does not look at all right.

Comment

I just had a look at my 1100 and the fork brace goes down flush with the bottom of the dust boot. It's flush with the top of the dust boot too which is kind of sneaky as I didn't realize that the thing is bolted onto a piece of rubber! What a joke, I wonder if it actually does anything bolted to the rubber.

Steve

Comment

No, it will not do anything bolted to a piece of rubber. The brace needs to solidly lock onto the forks to keep them from twisting. The fork boots are supposed to be pushed up until the brace is mounted and then brought down and secured to the brace. Braces with multiple applications had spacers that filled in the space between the the forks and brace outer shell. The fender may need to be lowered or replaced.

Comment

i guess i'll just sell the brace. anyone on here need one? most of the GS forks are the same i believe.

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
                  i guess i'll just sell the brace. anyone on here need one? most of the GS forks are the same i believe.

~Adam
                  But if most of them are the same, Adam, then that one isn't going to fit our forks either... :?

Steve 8)

Comment

I've got a Telefix exactly like the one in your first picture. Takes a couple minutes to install, but more to pay for ($129). I bought one earlier off ebay for $20 just like the one you have. Didn't fit my bike.
                    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...dStatesMap.jpg

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

I have a similar one on my S model.
                      It fits UNDER the dust cover/boot.
                      It does come right down on the fender.

Don't remember the brand....it's been there over 15 years.
                      Keith
                      -------------------------------------------
                      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

this is how it should look.
                        [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwAFA9oVxSqOhHYS62iz0VLz3AAyvt3PcZtz0b!e2TlHApYzm Uc95wo!PCq1QKdMPVwacQFpm*KTohed6B0uLhZBJ0097!7kHcK uClw6LuRvBFYh3IXEkw/misc%20001.JPG?dc=4675483459356346942[/img]
                        I think this is the teleflex?
                        it mounts using the groove for the dust boot, and the dust boot pops on top of the clamp.
                        from your pictures you got a fork brace for a larger bike.
                        the GS's use several different size forks depending on size and year.

Comment

looking back at your pictures, it looks like you have a ton of room between the fender and your front tire.
                          you can notch the fender mount holes and lower the fender clearing room for the brace.
                          also the brace you have is made to clamp just below where the dust boot is.

Comment

That was going to be my comment too - your mudguard (fender) is too far up from the wheel.

Also, as has been said already, the brace doesn't fit around the rubber dust seals.

In the 4th picture down - is it just the angle of the picture or has tightening up the brace seriously distorted your right hand fork???

I bought one for my GS750, then had the fork bottoms powder coated. Now the fork brace won't fit as the powder coating has increased the diameter of the fork leg!

Comment

Some of the older bikes had a stamped steel fork brace that ran inside the fender and bolted to the forks where the fender mounts. The brace shown above does not fit on that bike. Below is a photo of a Telefix brace fitted to the stock front und of my 1983 GS750ED. It mounts to the fork legs below the dust seals. Good Luck, Ed.
                              Store photos and docs online. Access them from any PC, Mac or phone. Create and work together on Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents.

Comment

Working...
                              X