Help 2'nd Gear is GONE on 1984 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help 2'nd Gear is GONE on 1984 GS550

Is there anything you can do if all gears are working except all the teeth on 2'nd gear are broken. I have to go from 1'st to 3'rd (bit dangerous) Anyone know how much this would be to fix and where I could fix something like this unless it isn't worth it. Everything else is working well.

I would definitely suggest that you not ride the bike until you can be sure that the teeth of the 2nd gear have not gone somewhere dangerous. Transmission lockup can easily be fatal to bike and rider.

Comment

It depends on your machanical ability. It requires engine removal and splitting the cases to repair the trans If you are thinking of having someone do it?? It would be cheaper to try and find another engine.

Comment

It is possible to replace the second gear on these bikes. When he sold it to me, the previous owner told me he had to have the second gear replaced right after he purchased it from the original owner. I've had zero problems with it so far!

Comment

Bron,
          If you are willing to spend the money to have the transmission dogs cut down (re-squared off) at a machine shop I may have a complete 550 transmission gear set if you are interested. Though You may want to check with a shop/manual whatever to make sure an 81 and 85 transmission is the same. I know that in 82 the engines went through some changes, but I'm not sure if the transmission was one of them.

PM me and we can work out the details.

Amos

Comment

Major changes between the 81 & 85 I don't think the trans would be the same

Comment

Working...
            X