No announcement yet.

OH CRAP. wrong oil.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use 10/30 that's what suzuki recomends.Whoops. Didnt read post. Right on engine oil fill cap "10w/40"

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Corrie
      Use 10/30 that's what suzuki recomends.
      Huh? 8O Everything I've got says to use 10W40!
      Kevin
      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Many here happily use Shell Rotella 15W-50 in their GS engines, including the drag racers.

It's intended for diesel engines, but works quite well in a GS because it does not contain the problematic additives of car oil.

A gallon container around here is $6 or $7 US.

Just drain your oil and refill with Rotella and you'll be fine. Don't bother with the oil filter.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Everything I've got says to use 10W40!
          Mine, too. My 2, also. I agree. Whatever .

I'm using a 15W-40 oil by Pennzoil. I forget exactly what they call it (posting from work, can't run out to the garage and check), but it's supposed to be for trucks, or higher mileage vehicles, or some similar designation.

I also agree with another earlier post; I haven't seen a 10W-30 oil that isn't "energy conserving."

By the way, the starburst shown earlier isn't the one to concern yourself with, it's a similar looking one, usually on the back of the container, that has the viscosity in the center of the circle. There's a concentric outer circle that may have a blank section (good to use), or the words "energy-conserving" (DON'T USE). Reason - the oil is made energy-conserving by adding a heavier dose of 'friction modifiers' than oils without the designation. These modifiers may negatively affect the proper functioning of your clutch. Do a search, you'll find lots of previous posts on this issue.

Comment

Re: OH CRAP. wrong oil.

Originally posted by earlfor
            In 30 something years of motorcycling, I have never used a motorcycle oil.
            Always Castrol 20w50 or Mobil 1 15w50. I have no reason to change that perspective. :-)
            Check, check, check
            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Working...
            X