GS 1000GL flat above 7000 rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1000GL flat above 7000 rpm

My 1981 GS 1000 GL generally runs well. It has 16000 miles and is in good condition. When making runs through the gears it seems reluctant to run to redline. It feels flat above 7000 rpm. Are the coils weak? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jack

Mine was the same.

Check your plugs and see what kind of burn you're getting: I'd guess that it might be lean. If this is the case, make sure your carbs are nice and clean. You may also consider increasing your mains one size, but this should not be needed if it is all stock.

Is your air filter in place and stock? Is your airbox sealing well?

Also check your timing - if it is retarded, you might not get enough advance at higher RPMs. Check it with a timing light.

Comment

the 1000G engine runs out of breath around 8K rpm. (due to port design, cam profiles, carb size,etc)
      the factory tachs are not the most accurate thing and you may be turning way past the 7K rpm it is showing, especially when the engine is rev-ed fast, the tach takes a second to catch up.
      you should check your air filter, a dirty air filter will have a major effect on top end breathing due to the stock air box being pretty restrictive to start with.

Comment

2003 SV 1000N Japcatti?

Comment

run it up in the rev range and pull out the choke/enrichener

if it runs better you need bigger main jets.

if it does not pick up the power I'd first check

#1 fuel flow from tank to carbs - restrictions kinks?
          #2 fuel level in the float bowls- might be to little
          #3 timing advancer free moving and snappy
          #4 too much oil in the crank case?
          #5 a stuck vacuum slide or a puncture in the diaphram not lifting all the way up
          #6 gloves or something in front of the air inlet?
          #7 carb float vent hoses open and not routed to a low air pressure area

your bike shouldn't nose over until 9000 rpm stock. (nose over = quit making power)

after that more information is needed
          Last edited by trippivot; 09-04-2008, 09:16 AM.
          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
          X