fuel gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel gauge

on my way to work this am my fuel gauge, which was only showing a 1/4 of a tank of fuel, suddenly shot up to above full and stayed there. it will not come back down........
    any ideas out there???

the "hot" wire for your gauge has shorted out someplace it should be a vellow with black stripe wire.
    the gauge sends power down this wire to the sending unit in the tank, the sender varies resistance on this wire the lower the fuel level the higher the resistance if this wire shorts to ground the gauge will peg out at/above full.

Comment

bad wire

The gauge reads full when you connect the two wires together, a closed circuit, try unplugging the sending unit and if the gauge still reads full you've got a short somewhere from the plug to the gauge.
      The wires could have broken and shorted across on the rheostat in the actual gauge sending unit. If, when you've got the two wires disconnected and with the key on it drops to empty it's the sending unit. On mine you can reach the wires by lifting the fuel tank up slightly at the back and they're two 'bullet' plugs.
      Or, and it'd be strange, the float is actually stuck to the top somehow. You can reach in with a bent coathanger and move the arm up and down...Mike

Comment

gauge

Don't know what type of bike you've go but here's a gauge on E-Bay if you need one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=50463 ....Mike

Comment

Working...
        X