Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone installed a TRUE HID light kit on their bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone installed a TRUE HID light kit on their bike?

Have been thinking about installing a HID light kit on my bike. This includes a ballast and a Xenon gas filled bulb (Philips bulb and Hella ballast). Kits normally run about $200-250. The light this kit emits is very bright, looks like daylight. Same kits come standard on BMW's and high end cars.

Has anybody tried an HID kit on their bike?

You know,

I've read that without a new reflector assembly as well, (that has an even sharper cutoff than our H4 bulbs already do), HID lamps will actually perform worse than a standard H4 halogen due to excess scatter, and will also make you more prone to head-on collisions due to blinding the driver coming toward you, again due to the improper reflector assembly..

Does the kit you are looking at provide an entirely new lamp assembly?

Comment

I agree, and I've seen a real world example to prove it. A buddy of mine put HID lamps into his Nissan Sentra SER. Although the light is very bright and white, there is no specific spread pattern with the stock lenses, and no difference between low and high beam settings.

By comparison, if you upgrade your bike to an H-4 system and then further upgrade the bulb to a Sylvania Silverstar, you'll see a "close to HID" result that is (pardon the pun) light years better than what you started with! ...did this on my 1100G (at Joe Nardy's suggestion -- thanks Joe!) and it's like riding a different bike at night!

Hope this helps,
      Steve 8)

Comment

Double posted.

Earl
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
          I do not believe the GS electrical system has enough output to run the HID lighting. You would be better off with an H4 xenon/halogen Sylvania Silverstar. That will give you a 100 watt output with a power consumption of 55 watts. The Silverstar H4 xenon on my 1150 lights a path 4 lanes wide and 350 feet long on high beam. That is adequate. The bulbs can be $30 to $50 depending on where you buy them. Walmart sometimes carries them for about $40. Best lighting money I ever spent. :-)

Earl

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Come up to Canada, Canadian Tire has the Silverstar bulbs for 27CDN.

Steve

Comment

Well Shoot Steve, you could make your fortune by heading south and selling them on streetcorners from under a raincoat. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by srivett

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                Well Shoot Steve, you could make your fortune by heading south and selling them on streetcorners from under a raincoat. :-)

(Pssssst......YOU, yeah you.........wanna buy some primo lightbulbs?) :-)
                Earl

Steve

Comment

Sliverstar sealed beam. I don't like screwing around with the bulbs. Works great. It is also best to power your headlight with a direct line controlled by a relay. With the stock wiring scheme my light got so dim I almost couldn't ride it at night. With the relay and the Silverstar night riding is no longer a problem.
                  Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by dpep
                    Sliverstar sealed beam. I don't like screwing around with the bulbs. Works great. It is also best to power your headlight with a direct line controlled by a relay. With the stock wiring scheme my light got so dim I almost couldn't ride it at night. With the relay and the Silverstar night riding is no longer a problem.
                    Haven't heard of the Sliverstar, D -- I DO like the Silverstar though! Personally I'd avoid the sealed beam, if only because the convenience of being able to carry a spare along makes for safer night riding, especially if you're out in the middle of nowhere when it blows. Also, with a sealed beam, if a rock hits it you're done ... If a rock hits the lens and bulb style you don't necessarily lose your headlight. Either way, though, Silverstar is the way to go!

Steve 8)

Comment

Earl: What I could do is travel down to the US loaded with the Silverstar headlights and return to Canada with Mach III razor blades. Up here they cost about 20CDN for 4 blades! I would be a millionaire by the end of September no doubt.

Steve

Comment

I ordered my Silverstar directly from Sylvania for just over $20. Don's right - definitely install a relay.

Follow the link for H4-ST. I think that they are running a $5 rebate on this one to boot.

Jeff

Comment

I dont understand why a relay. The stock headlight switch and wiring supports a standard 55/60 watt Halogen H4 bulb. The Silvestar produces the light of a 100 watt halogen, but with the same power consumption of the standard 55/60 H4. There isnt any increase in power consumption. A relay may be a good idea, but I dont see that it is required and have not found I need one.

Earl

Originally posted by Mr. Jiggles
                          I ordered my Silverstar directly from Sylvania for just over $20. Don's right - definitely install a relay.

Jeff

Comment

Hmmm, sounds like a good "after hours" business. heh

Earl

Earl: What I could do is travel down to the US loaded with the Silverstar headlights and return to Canada with Mach III razor blades. Up here they cost about 20CDN for 4 blades! I would be a millionaire by the end of September no doubt.

Steve

Comment

Earl,

Have you seen any research reports to support the claim that the SS bulbs produce the equivilent luminosity of a 100 watt bulb? I'd be interested to see it, if its based in fact I may consider one myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X