Front brake switch assembly & light always on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brake switch assembly & light always on

I finally have my front brakes all cleaned up and working great, but the brake light is always on. I know it has something to do with the switch assembly and how I assembled it, but I am not sure what.

There is a spring, a copper cap, a pastic holder that holds these 2, a plate with wires attached and a cover. The plastic holder fits into the slot where the brake lever makes contact with it. I am not sure where this assembly should be in relation to the brake lever. It seemed like there was a slot for it, but the brake light is not affected when I pull the lever.

What have I done wrong? Where should this holder be?

Thanks

The plastic nub on the switch goes in the slot in the brake lever. When you pull the brake lever, it moves the nub and thus completes the circuit.

Assuming it's assembled correctly, you can loosen the two mounting screws slightly and tap the switch back and forth to adjust where it engages.

And yes, it is a real mickey mouse PITA setup. A very bad design. Some people replace it with a real switch activated by brake fluid pressure.

Here's the switch if you need a new one (scroll down):
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Brehill,

I just had my brake switch apart the other day. You'll notice on the brake lever there is a slot where this plastic/copper part fits into. Look for wear inside the slot and it should start to make sense. As far the brake light staying on, this is good and bad. This means the copper contacts are clean, BUT, it also means that the little plastic/copper part (pictured below) is installed incorrectly. That little part is rectangular. Positioning the rectangular part incorrectly (off 90 degrees) barely leaves enough room for the part to come out of contact with the switch. Try turning the part 90 degrees and test it again. Also observe underneath that where the two wires are soldered to the contact points and see if they are touching -ergo closing the circuit.

-jon
      16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
      13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
      78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
      Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
      02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
      12 Aprilia Shiver 750
      82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

rectangular piece

Hi Jon,

The rectangular piece, is that the copper piece? So it should be short in the direction taht it travels?

The wires are not shorted. So it must be the way that piece is intsalled. Thanks.

Comment

You got it. Give it a turn and reinstall and see if that does it.

-jon

History book:
          12 Aprilia Shiver 750
          82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Just a quick note. The replacement switch part looks square but the factory one is rectangular. The plastic part that holds the spring and the copper will only seat up into the brake lever one way, but the copper can be rotated 90 degrees when seated inside the plastic part.

History book:
            12 Aprilia Shiver 750
            82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

If you get frustrated You can replace one of the banjo bolts with a hyd pressure switch to activate the brake light NO more problem

Comment

Working...
              X