oil leaking !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil leaking !!!

after i did an oil change, cannot get the plate over the filter to stop leaking. have got rid of the 'dome' nuts and put on the ones with the nylon inserts. still keeps leaking! has anyone used an ' instsant gasket' cement or the likes to cure this problem ? thanks to all who can help. bobo.

Do you know there is supposed to be a gasket in there? It's a giant oring and you run it along a groove. It's a real pain to put a new one in. If that ring is properly in place, I'd possibly recommend a light application of the gasket compound.

Comment

o-ring.

yes thanks have triple checked the o-ring.

Comment

The o-ring is new, right? Don't re-use the old one -- that only works some of the time, and only if it's only one oil change old. If it's a new one that got out of place and got pinched, you have to start over with a new one.

That's about your only possibility, unless one of the mounting studs has pulled out or unscrewed from the engine a bit.

With a new o-ring in its proper place, you do not need sealer, cement, silicon, etc.

Installing that &%$#@! o-ring is one of the more aggravating aspects of GS ownership. I usually let mine warm up in the sun before installing. Sometimes I'll press a new o-ring between two heavy books if it's really crumpled up. In the past, I've used tiny dabs of Hylomar to hold the o-ring in place on the cover during installation. That's usually not necessary if you take the time to let it warm up and flatten out.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

oil leak

aaaahhhhhh, a new 'o' ring. never thought about fitting a new one. much obliged.

Comment

Re: oil leak

Originally posted by bobo
            aaaahhhhhh, a new 'o' ring. never thought about fitting a new one. much obliged.
            I use a few dabs of regular bearing grease to keep the o-ring still while mounting. Works for me. A very thin coat all over the o-ring helps it stay supple longer too.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

The slightest knick in that o-ring will cause a leak. You'll notice that every time your park your bike is leaves a single drop of oil on the ground. After 2 weeks you'll have quite the mess so it's worth your while to replace the o-ring every time.

Steve

Comment

For what it's worth, you could do worse than recycle an O-ring. I put in a FRAM filter on my 84 GS1150 and after a days' dripping,tightening, dripping, etc discovered their O-ring was too skinny! Fortunately I still had the used one to slap back in, end of leakage.

Comment

The service manual says to use grease to hold the O-Ring in place. I bought one of those little tubs of grease from my local dealer and it seems to work fine. I also use it for other things, like my speedometer and tachometer cables.

I haven't had to replace the O-Ring all that often. I think maybe once or twice a season. I depends on how often you change your oil and such things. I do keep some in stock with my extra oil filters.

Comment

The Fram filters I get come with a new O-Ring, why not use it? Are there filters that don't come with the new O-Ring?????
                    Discount Auto, $3.99.

I DID kink one and oil ran everywhere. Had to reuse the old one, no leak. I was a bit more careful this time and no leaky. I will try the grease next time though, just to be safe.

Someone said they also use gasket sealer on that housing, think it was Scotty that said that?

Comment

I get mine at autozone, comes with a gasket, thinner than a Suzi part, but slightly thicker than the Fram one. STP brand. I just change it out every other oil change, so i always have one laying around in case I pinch it or something when I reused it. I will remove it, then put grease or Vasolene in the 'crack' of the filter housing, then install the gasket, then the cover to the engine. Never have had one leak this method. If I could get my valve cover gasket to work this way......

Comment

Working...
                      X