GS850 cam chain replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 cam chain replacement

The cam chain on my GS850G becomes a bit noisy lately. The tensioner is OK, so I guess I'll have to replace the chain in the winter.
    Did anyone ever replace the cam chain, without taking the engine apart?
    My Haynes manual isn't very clear about that. It just shows how to remove the cylinders, and replace the cam chain if necessary.

camchain replacement

Hi

I think Scotty had a few postings discussing this a while back. The idea is to break the chain, tag on the new chain, feed the new chain into the engine, and remove the old chain - all without breaking the cases.

The chain manufacturers are not keen on this for liability reasons (litigation) but it can be done. It seems people sue restaurants for fatty food and coffee shops for hot coffee in some litigious countries.

Hope this helps.

Patrick

Comment

Yes, I did this some years ago. get a chain with a master link. Break the old one, then hook on the new chain with the master link, then turn the engine over with a spanner on the ignition bolt, feeding the new chain through. Join the new chain, then pean over the links. As good as an endless one. Mine has been going foe 80,000 km or so on a performance engine, although I admit to not giving it a hard time.

Oh yes, make sure the chain tensioner is taken off first!

Slowpoke did a post on this in general discussion a while ago.

Comment

Had something like that in mind; didn't know if it was possible though.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
        X