blowing main fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blowing main fuse

neighbour has an '83 GS750ES that as he tells me is NOT the katana. anyway recently it started blowing the main fuse about 5seconds after shutting it off. im not sure if he shuts it down with the key or the kill switch though.

edit: guess it helps if anyone has any thoughts where to look for probs?

Re: blowing main fuse

I'll just throw this out there, that when my '78 was blowing its fuse it turned out to be a bad ground, so the electricity had nowhere to go. The battery ground (negative) had corroded and because of my new rectifier regulator, which was putting out voltage the bike hadn't seen in 25 years, there was excess resistance. Problem was solved by adding another ground to the battery negative terminal.

I would have renewed the original ground but it roots itself in the crankcase. I ended up using one of the engine mount bolts.

Comment

I think I remember this problem being posted before... I'm sure it's long gone by now.

If a fuse blows over and over again, the obvious problem is a short circuit. Another less obvious problem is a charging system problem, such as too high voltage.

Just some thoughts. Good luck.

Comment

yah thats what I figured. just confuses the hell out of us that it blows AFTER shutting it off

Comment

Originally posted by crazyguy
          yah thats what I figured. just confuses the hell out of us that it blows AFTER shutting it off
          Bad ground on the kill switch, I bet. It likely arcs across some corrosion, raising voltage too high. Poof

Comment

Originally posted by crazyguy
            he has a bad rectifier!!!
            the rectifiers allow the power coming from the stator to only go one way as well as converting the AC current that is produced to DC current, if one or more of the rectifiers goes bad, it will allow battery power to return back down through the regulator rectifier to the stator just like a short.

the fuse will hold with it running because the stator is producing power.

often when a rectifier fails they don't blow the fuse, they just run the battery dead over night, he more than likely has more than one of the rectifiers in the R/R bad.
            one thing that will also point to a bad rectifier is the lights, with a bad rectifier on a running bike (and cars too!) you will notice a waver, or flicker in the lights, mainly low wattage bulbs like the tail light and dash lights with the engine at idle.

Comment

thats actually what we were discussing tonight. his battery suddenly went flat dead on him while riding the day and he had to push start it to get home again. i'll inform him of the crappy news then go check my little brothers GS850 parts bike has the same reg/rect.

Comment

Do a bit of preventive maintenance too. Clean the contacts in your fusebox, and make sure the clips have enough tension to hold the fuses securely. Dealer told me about this. Said it was a big problem with some of the old bikes because folks don't think to check these connections.

Comment

Working...
                X