Should I be worried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I be worried

I'm going on the Florida ride tomorrow and thought I'd check my plugs.
    #1 & #2 look almost white, very slight tan color.
    #3 & #4 are dark tan, almost a blackish tint to them.

History: I bought this bike 2 months ago. Changed the plugs after a few days and all 4 were nice and tan, about all the same color. I posted pics here and all was good.

Only thing I did since then was clean the air filter. It was dry as a bone when I cleaned it, but after reading several things I oiled it with 10W 40. It started starting a little harder after that.
    After a few days, and posting here, I cleaned it and left it dry, yet it still starts the same.

The other thing I changed was going to Regular Unleaded instead of High Test.
    Also, last time I rode was Wednesday and hit heavy rain on the way to work. Could the extra moisture in the air make a difference?

Should I be worried about going on the Florida ride tomorrow?

Should I try to adjust #1 & # 2 carbs?

What kind of filter are you using? If it's a k&N, then you need to oil it with their oil - not 10W40. If it is a stock paper element, how did you clean it without destroying it?

By oiling the filter you richened up your mixture, so starting could be harder, especially when hot. When cold, you probably won't need as much choke.

The stock intake should have keep water out. K&N style filters can have a problem in the rain.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't worry about the ride. Plus, you can get advise when down there.

Comment

As far as I know about these filters, it's just the stock FOAM filter. After I oiled it, I later cleaned it with a little gas, then with Dawn and water. It is in really good shape actually.
      What my manual doesn't show is that deeper in the air box, there is this wire mesh filter looking thing. I haven't touched it. Maybe I should?

I forgot to mention that aside from starting just a tad (probably my imagineation) different. It runs really well. The oil temp is the same, when cruising it stays about what I would consider 190, when in stop and go traffic it hits just a smide under 210.

I just have heard horror stories about burning a hole in pistons. I've actually had this happen in my 4.3L I/O Mercruiser boat motor. Had a huge hole right in the top of it.
      This is what really scares me. I sometimes am a little overcautious.

BTW. The Factory manual just states that if you have a discolored plug, replace it. Should I?

Thanks for both the help and re-assurance on this.

Update: I took the filter out and it smells pretty strong with gas. It also is wet under where the filter sits? I tried prying the mesh out, but I'm not going to fuss with it. It looks ok to me.

Comment

fresh plugs for a fresh ride is a good plan.
        a boat motor runs under heavy load for extended durations, cruising at a relaxed pass in a boat is ofter running at half throttle, half throttle on your bike should put you at or over 100mph!

the relative humidity of the air does have some effect on performance and tune, that is why modern fuel injection systems take weather conditions into account, so they can adjust them self to the optimum settings for conditions.
        enjoy the ride and watch out for the self propelled speed bumps y'all have done that way!

PS: this close to ride time you don't want to mess with the carbs, if something was to break you would end up missing the ride!!

Comment

If it was my filter, I would'nt use motor oil. I would use oil made for foam filters. That may be causing you a problem, but the oiling is not the reason for the different looking plug reads. Over or under oiling would still allow the plugs to run all the same color.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Does the exhaust pipe for 1&2 have a big hole in it?

Steve

Comment

PS: this close to ride time you don't want to mess with the carbs, if something was to break you would end up missing the ride!!
              My thoughts exactly. I don't want to mess with anything this close.

Does the exhaust pipe for 1&2 have a big hole in it?
              Not that I can tell.

Thanks guys. I'm heading out. Little test run last night and she is running good. I'll try not to cruise over 100mph for an extended time.

See ya, be back on Sunday. WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO

Comment

Working...
              X