New fuel filter- Not for motorcycles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New fuel filter- Not for motorcycles?

I bought a Proline(pepBoys brand) in line glass filter today. It looked just like the one on my bike when I bought it, though it is about twice as long, and it actually has a filter element in it...

anyway, got home and was happy to find out I picked the right size for my lines(negelcted to bring the old one with me) I plugged it in and set off for a ride. Everything felt fine.

When I got home, i read through the installation material that was inside the package and it explicitly stated that this was not for motorcycle use.

I am wondering why. It looks just like ones I have seen for motorcycles.

It is about 1.5 to 2 inches long, glass with a filter element in the middle.

I think paranoia will probably have me repalce it with one deemed motorcycle worthy unless someone can help me figure this out

btw: it says not for applications over 10 p.s.i, but i cant imagine the pressure in these lines is over 10

Thanks for your help as usual,

Chris

1982 gs850gz
    approx 13500 miles, 123 of them mine....

Just to hazard a guess.... It's probably due to the constant vibrations on a motorcycle. It may fall apart internally under those conditions. Otherwise, I wouldn't know. Perhaps a call to the manufacturer will answer this.

Comment

the Vibrations of a motorcycle will cause the filter to either come apart ( the element is replaceable) or the glass will break if vibration or something causes it to bang up against the bike. You are better off either getting a metal one, or using a one-piece type of filter.

Comment

I've used one like it for years, don't worry about it. One suggestion though, use some zip ties or something to tie the fuel line near the filter to the frame so it's not bouncing around.

Comment

It is due to vibration that these are not recommended -- either due to the thing coming apart, or the glass breaking. Auto engines are pretty sublime to that of a motorcycle (plus the gas ain't gonna pour down between your legs 8O ).

What you can do is to put a drop of Loctite thread locker on the thread before you tighten it up and wrap it in some large rubber hose with a tie wrap. The thread locker will hold it together, but it will still come apart with a wrench, and the hose will keep it from banging around and cracking the glass. Be VERY sparing with the thread locker though, don't need very much.

Roger

Comment

I would hope that your gravity fed fuel system is less than 10PSI.

Comment

They probably meant modern bikes which a good number of are fuel injected and have high pressure fuel lines. I would think on older bikes it would work fine due to the lines being vacuum operated so to speak.

Comment

Another thought... They probably want you to buy the exact same thing at a motorcycle shop for $19.99 instead of $2.99 at Pep Boys.

Comment

another fuel filter question

Hi,

Just bought an in-line fuel filter from JCwhitney, and was wondering about the best place to put them on my bikes. And do i need to buy anything else to install them? Neither bike has ever had a fuel filter installed.

I have a '82 GS 650 L and a '94 Kaw Vulcan 750.

Comment

Install the filter between your petcock and carbs. Your fuel line will have to be cut and if it doesn't fit tightly onto the filter connections you will have to install hose clamps (teeny ones). Should cost more than 25 cents per.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Tate
                      Another thought... They probably want you to buy the exact same thing at a motorcycle shop for $19.99 instead of $2.99 at Pep Boys.

ding ding .........We have the REAL answer here

Comment

Originally posted by Alwyn678
                        Originally posted by Jeff Tate

ding ding .........We have the REAL answer here
                        Been there too, huh?

Comment

I had one of those and if you have even the hint that you have any rust or dirt in the tank get rid of it. It wont stop anything but the largest chunks from getting into the carbs.

Comment

fuel filter

Chris

The after the fuel petcock filter wont stop anything that the one in tank misses.It is a much better filter

Comment

fuel filter

Chris

The after the fuel petcock filter wont stop anything that the one in tank misses.It is a much better filter

Comment

Working...
                              X