Runs .... then dies.............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runs .... then dies.............

I finally got my GS550 E '82 running, and got it trough inspection , after resting for about 9 years....... !

I have been driving on in for about 30 KM, then it sounds as if it stops running on some of the cylinders ( the engine stops completly). I am able to stat it (but not easely :x ) When it starts again it sounds as strange as when it stopped.

This has happend 2 times, last time was 10 km ago. After that I rinsed the tank because of some rust in it (got all red), but now the gas looks fine, but the same still happens.

I have cleand the carburatos including the float bowls.....

Hope anyone can help me soon, because I have promised my 5 year old son a ride to his grandparrents tommorrow :roll:

Check the plugs and your fuel filter. When ever my 750 sounds like its missing a cyclinder, its usually a plug fouled out (happens if I run the choke to much). You mentioned that you just de-rusted your tank- is there any junk in your filter that may be restricting fuel flow?

-Jon
    16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
    13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
    78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
    Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
    02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
    12 Aprilia Shiver 750
    82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

I think that there is sill a bit of rust in the tank, but not so much that it will stop the fuel flow. I also bought a "inline" fuelfilter so that can always check the rust condition :? I rinsed the tank several times, and last time I did almost no rust came out.

I will try to check the plugs, but what about the coils, can they suddenly fail?? Is it enough for the enginge to stop, just if one cylinder fails??

Comment

Check the petcock. I would definately take the sucker out, you will notice it has a filter of it's own and it will suck crap against it that you can't get out otherwise. Simple check would be to remove the gas tank bolts the tilt a little up remove the fuel line from carb and then turn it to whatever position does not require a vacuum for fuel flow. If you do not get a good strong flow you have found your culprit. However if you do you may want to take your carbs off and clean them out well if you have'nt already. You wouldn't believ how small a particulate you need to clog a jet.
        As far as your coils go I would bet the are not the culprit, however with that said you can experiance those problems with a bad coil. When they heat up if the are bad the can become and open. So I always upgrade top a new accell coil, or used they are pretty bullet proof, and relocate into the air stream. These coils do not like to fit into the original spot so there is some fabrication involved. Hope I helped.

Comment

Working...
        X