Spun rod bearing again on GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spun rod bearing again on GS750E

Finished with the rebuild after #3 rod bearing seized. Was on a ride today & after about 20 miles the motor locked. After tear down found #1 rod bearing siezed. The bike was running decent, but had started to surge between 65 & 70. I just figured I had some jetting to do. But the rpm's dropped & then the motor locked. Now to figure out why the rod bearings are starving for oil. I cleaned them thorughly (I thought) while the cases were apart. Maybe I need to to take the cases somewhere to have them chemically cleaned. Any ideas would be apreciated.

Did you check the oil pressure??? The oil pump could be bad. Or the gears could not have been aligned

Comment

No I didn't check the pressure. I looked at the gears & they appeared to be allright. That would make sense though considering what it did. I guess I'll need to find an oil pressure gauge when I can manage to fix it. What is a good recommendation or place to find an aftermarket gauge?

Comment

Sounds like you have a oiling problem. Did you air or plasti guage your clearances on the rebuild? There are several things that could be wrong. On the crank some plain bearing cranks have a ball inserted where the crank is drilled for oiling. I have seen those pop out and you lose almost all oil pressure. The FJ yamaha`s were bad for that. Falicon drills taps and inserts a threaded plug. Your oil pump will have a pressure relief of some sort. That could also be the problem. Oil contamination from the previous bearing failure could also have hidden some metal from you somewhere in the cases that you didn`t see.

Comment

Thanks for the responses Lynn & Chris. I'm going to tear the bottom end down in the morning & see what I can find. I think the hardest part will be finding someone local to redo the crank or to find a used one. Wish me luck & Thanks, Andy.

Comment

Found the problem

Well, I tore the engine down & found out what happened. First clue was when I pulled the oil filter & found it clogged with the remains of a shop towel. Seems I missed one during assembly. The oil filter & oil screen were completely clogged. Next time I'll be doing a double & triple check for anything that doesn't belong. Man, what a learning experience.

Comment

At least you found out WHY! I'm in the last few hours of reinstalling a motor in a Ply Breeze for my best friends daughter. Her a hole boyfriend/husband (6 month marrage) drove the s%% out of it, ran it out of oil and spun a rod brg

Comment

Man that sucks...... 8O

Comment

Hi Don't know if you found one yet Might try this guy, came across this on Ebay

Comment

Lynn, I found a tail light for the bike off Parts n more for about $12. Looks & fits great. Tokk the crank to a machine shop today & the guy there thinks he can fix me up for around $30. Will know early next week. Wish me luck, Andy.

Comment

Working...
                    X