help w 80gs 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help w 80gs 1100

Hi new here have looked through the site many of times and think its great... I have a problem with my 1100 i cant seem to solve. the bike seems to run great fo about 20 mins then is hard starting and barly runs unless chocked any ideas?????

Could be the gas tank is not venting, prevent the petrol flowing. Does it go if you open the gas tank? Oterwise could be electrical. I recently had plug caps go after they warmed up a bit. Tested fine cold, but stopped working when hot. What is the behaviour before it stops?

Comment

well it starts to looose power like it is running on only 2 cyl after being stopped for say >5 min it goes back to normal i checked the stator from cold and tested at about 13.7 v and stayed there though the bike was ok then (not acting up).i have cleaned the carbs and put in new plugs,oil/filter, removed clean and insp clutch in great shape lots of compression on all 4 could you explain the gas tank thing in more detail i have a diaphram type of petcock??? not sure how it really works, would taping in a vale style petcock help this???

Comment

You sound like you may have a coil going out. What you describe is common on a coil. They heat up and fail then cool off ...then start working again until they reheat. Its a internal short.

Comment

yep the coil for cyl 1-4 is suspect can I use any 3 ohm coil here (just for testing)??? if so would you go stock coil or 3rd party?? last night i rode for about 5min with the mc acting up cyl 1&4 went cold so oly 2 things left the ignitor or coil I have a pair off a kawi 750 and some off a cb750 both late 70s could etheir of thes work for the short term?? thanks for the help guys I will let you know the final result shortly

Comment

hey Great the forums are back up!!! well guys I can pyt this problem to bed as the problem was my ignitor box which was component based not a intergrated circut so I found the faulty transistor and dioide replaced for under $5 cnd and problem solved I almost fell over at the cost of a new one $600 cnd thanks for the help
            Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon
              hey Great the forums are back up!!! well guys I can pyt this problem to bed as the problem was my ignitor box which was component based not a intergrated circut so I found the faulty transistor and dioide replaced for under $5 cnd and problem solved I almost fell over at the cost of a new one $600 cnd thanks for the help
              Rob
              It would be a great article if you could write on how you found the solution and what you did to correct it...(hint, hint)

Hap

Comment

well being a electronics guy I looked at the board and realized that it was just a couple of rectifying stages with a power transistor on the output 1 for coil 1 and one for coil 2 fliped transistors problem still exsisted so back to next stage on the board found a bad dioide replaced same problem turned out repair was a matter of a resolder of all the joints on the board and walla 1 week of trouble free riding yahoo!!!! my first 1100 what a difference from the 750 cant wait to get to the Nelson area to really see how she corners hope this helps 8)

Comment

Working...
                X