Oversized Drain Plugs/ Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oversized Drain Plugs/ Oil Leak

I've got a 78 GS 400 and a few weeks ago; I stripped the oil drain plug. I tried to silicone it up, but it didnt work. I tried wraping the plug with teflon tape- Still leaks.

Today, I tried an oversized plug. I picked it up at a local auto parts store, its a Single Oversized 14mm drain plug with a pitch of 1.5. I put the plug in with the supplied washer. It created new threads and it is as tight as any normal drain plug should be. But, it still leaks.

Just fyi, the plug appears to be origionating from the same general side of the bolt every time.

Shoild I try the next oversized plug, or should I try someting more extreme. I dont have much money, so if you know any cheap fixes, that'd be great.

Try putting a neoprene or fiber washer on it. Not sure if the neoprene will be OK for the hear though. Better check.

Comment

A heli coil may be your only once and for all fix. been down the same road. I finally pulled the pan. Its not that bad.

Comment

Are replacement drain plugs availible from anyone? Mine are a bit chewed up

Comment

Originally posted by travellite
          Are replacement drain plugs availible from anyone? Mine are a bit chewed up
          You are asking where to get one? Try NAPA. I got my oversize there. They may have standard also.

Comment

crack

Two things come to mind when you say the leak is from the same side. Either there's a crack in the pan that opens up when you tighten the plug or the plug is going in crooked not allowing it to seat flat against the pan...Mike

Comment

I looked at the drip a little more, It's a crack. I know of a little welding shop in my town, do you think they can weld the crack? It's really tiny and close to the plug. I cannot afford to do anyting drastic.

Comment

There are really only two choices for you now, and both involve taking off the drain pan:

1. Get the old drain pan welded.
                2. Get a new drain pan.

I'd go with the second choice if I were you. The welding will not necessarily work out well and may be nearly as expensive as getting a new drain pan. I got a new drain pan for a 1980 GS450 for $60 from the dealer (but that was at least 9 years ago). You might be able get a whole engine from e-bay for less than $100. I got an entire parts bike (GS450) from e-bay for $125 that enabled me to complete my friend's GS450 and leave me with a ton of perfectly usable parts.

Comment

I got a drain pan and oil filter cover off ebay for around 20$. I'd check parts yards too. I haven't seen them on ebay in quite some time.

Comment

Working...
                  X