Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is it supposed to sound like at idle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is it supposed to sound like at idle?

As time goes on, and I get more stuff ironed out on my bike, I run into new problems.

When the bike is idling it sounds almost like a diesel from the valvetrain. There is a constant ticking noise that speeds up as the engine does. The bike makes excellent power, and the plugs are all the same shade of brown (amazing as that was to discover that they were actually right).

Also at high RPM's the bike vibrates so fast that it will make your hands go numb.

I guess what I'm wondering is if perhaps I need to do some valve adjustment or what?

If so, how?

vibration usually wont be caused by valvetrain. after a valve adjustment job my bike still 'ticks' at idle, that's common valvetrain noise. however, the ticking is usually due to loose valve adjustment. the looser, the louder the ticking. sometimes the cam chain can contribue to this if the tensioner is not working right.

what i suggest is adjust the valves if you have not ever. i'd wait until winter since it's not a big issue on performance, it just can be 'loud'. i suggest using a RealGasket for the cover, setting the valve clearance to the 'looser' side of the spec, and taking off your cam chain tensioner, cleaning it, and reinstalling it.

~Adam

Comment

What about the cam chain tensioner gasket? Where did you get that? Mine leaks a bit as it is. Who sells Realgaskets? Thanks, Ed

Comment

www.Realgaskets.com You should have it idling about 1200-1400. Under 1K the engine will have more noise. Does the noise change if you pull the clutch in?? If it vibrates alot the first thing to do is Sync the carbs & check the motor mounts

Comment

If you have standard cams it should not make a lot of noise from the top end. Even mine with high lift cams and no noise ramps on the cams is relatively quiet.

Any noises might be the cam chain, and if the carbs are not synched it will rattle a bit more when hot with a bit of clutch rattle. It is amazing how a good carb synch quietens the bike. Make sure the cam chain adjuster is working properly and not sticking. I had to replace the original one of mine as it was sticking and lead to a rattling noise in the top end.

If the noise decreases whene the clutch is in this is the problem. Check the clutch nut, it may be loose. The more miles on the bike the more likely that the clutch backing plate springs are loose, as may be the clutch rivets.

78 GS1000, 150,000kms, clutch rebuilt twice, a few performance mods, still rattles away when hot whn not tuned for a fw years

Comment

Working...
          X