GS450 New Petcock Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 New Petcock Problems

Just installed a brand new petcock on an 82 GS450 TXZ, trouble is it only wants to run properly in the "pri" designation. Firstly, what does "pri" mean and secondly, why won't it run in the "on" and "reserve" designation?

Thanks!

do you have it hooked up to vacuum? It needs vacuum to operate in 'on'

Comment

Originally posted by spots25
      do you have it hooked up to vacuum? It needs vacuum to operate in 'on'
      How do I hook it up to a vacuum? Should I use a Kirby or Hoover?

Comment

Seriously, where does the petcock hook upto to receive a vacuum.

Comment

Help, please... I see an outlet on both carbs but don't know which one the vacuum is.

Comment

Originally posted by roygrif
            Help, please... I see an outlet on both carbs but don't know which one the vacuum is.
            I honestly don't know. Mine is the old style. All I know, is that you need engine vacuum to open up the petcock in the 'on' position. Someone else help?

Comment

If they are on the inside between the carbs it is neither, those are for overflow tubes. If your carb is the same as mine (and I think its pretty close) the vacuum comes from the left side facing outwards just in front of the choke lever. Mine has an 'L' fitting on that side that inserts into the carb.

I didn't take pics as I cleaned the carbs off the 'S' but I really should have.....

Comment

Originally posted by bgmart450
                If they are on the inside between the carbs it is neither, those are for overflow tubes. If your carb is the same as mine (and I think its pretty close) the vacuum comes from the left side facing outwards just in front of the choke lever. Mine has an 'L' fitting on that side that inserts into the carb.

I didn't take pics as I cleaned the carbs off the 'S' but I really should have.....
                I'll look for that. Where can i buy the correct hose for that? Is there a special size it needs to be?

Comment

I had a heck of a time gettin the hose for the inlet. It had to be rated for gas and autoshops only had one size that was. Took me forever to get one that would work (with new screw clamps). To avoid the hassle I'd see if either a motorcycle dealer or local independant M/C shop would have what you are looking for.

As for the size I dunno. I know its smaller than the main intake hose, but I am lucky to have both 2 of the same bikes and enough hose on both that I can take samples if I have to. Sorry that isn't much help to you....

I am betting you can find the size by asking a shop or dealer.

Good luck. If you need any more info I'll do what I can to get more data for you.

Comment

I had a heck of a time gettin the hose for the inlet. It had to be rated for gas and autoshops only had one size that was. Took me forever to get one that would work (with new screw clamps). To avoid the hassle I'd see if either a motorcycle dealer or local independant M/C shop would have what you are looking for.

As for the size I dunno. I know its smaller than the main intake hose, but I am lucky to have both 2 of the same bikes and enough hose on both that I can take samples if I have to. Sorry that isn't much help to you....

I am betting you can find the size by asking a shop or dealer.

Good luck. If you need any more info I'll do what I can to get more data for you.
                    Thank you. I'll get busy tomorrow.

Comment

petcock

PRI means prime, it sends fuel straight through the lines right into the fuel bowls. Instead of killing the battery to get gas flowing into dry lines to prime them.

Comment

Interesting, that there is no "off" position. Anyways with the vacuum hose hooked up, it no longer revs up on it's own after it get's warm. Would this fix that problem?

Comment

Interesting, that there is no "off" position. Anyways with the vacuum hose hooked up, it no longer revs up on it's own after it get's warm. Would this fix that problem?
                          Wow does it even run with the vacuum off? Mine runs a bit then dies of starvation. Could be it ran faster during the fuel starvation like my mower did when it ran outta gas. I could always tell when to fill it up because it'd run like nutz just before it was empty.

I am glad you got it running better though.

Comment

Wow does it even run with the vacuum off? Mine runs a bit then dies of starvation. Could be it ran faster during the fuel starvation like my mower did when it ran outta gas. I could always tell when to fill it up because it'd run like nutz just before it was empty.

I am glad you got it running better though.
                            Yeah it ran if I revved the balls out of it.

Comment

Working...
                            X