Ticking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ticking

I have a 1983 gs750e and there seems to be a ticking coming from one of the right cylinders, and it sounds higher up in the engine. When I first start the bike it is hardly noticable and over the next minute of running it gets progressively louder. Could this possibly be a loose valve? If not, does anyone have any other ideas? Any imput would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Could be cam end float,entirely benign,but annoying.As the oil heats it thins and the ticking gets louder.I believe it can be fixed with some machining but that costs serious cash,so it's not worth it.My old 550's done it for as long as I can remember,asked a mechanic and was told "they all do that".If it's a kinda "ting ting ting....ting ting ting" noise from the cam area don't worry too much,but get it checked if it really bugs you.

Comment

Ticking

Alright, that is good to know. It does sound like it is coming from the right side of the engine, in cylinder 4. It also sounds like it is coming from the top of the motor.. Maybe I will just adjust the valves and if it keeps doing it, I will just ride it.. ANy other ideas?

Comment

I agree. Check the valves. It could be a loose adjustment, which I understand isn't all that bad. My 850 ticks too, but it seems to lessen as the motor heats up. It's just telling you that it wants an adjustment.

Another possibility is a loose connecting rod bearing (little end), or perhaps some piston slap. Still, I'd start with checking the valves and see where that takes you.

Comment

Ticking

Alright. I am just waiting for myshop manual for some specs, then I will adjust the valves and go from there. Thanks for your help!!

Comment

Ticking

Yeah, the more i listen to the noise, the more i get confused. It doesnt sound routine enough (constant enough) to be a connecting rod, and when I rev it up it goes away. It also sounds like it is coming more from the right side, and higher up in the engine. Any ideas with these descriptions? I am thinking possibly the cam chain.. Thannks!

Comment

It really sounds like cam walk/float to me. The cams have some clearance side to side in the head. Sometimes they like to slap against the side of the engine and make noise. It usually goes away when you rev it up. There's really nothing to worry about...... These bike make alot of noise anyway.....

Comment

Ticking

Is there any way of telling if it is the cam walk/float or not? I am just trying to figure out if it needs an engine overhaul or not. Any help is greatly appreciated~

Comment

Do the valve adjustment first, and if the noise goes away then great, if not then its end float. There's really not that much you can do other than that. I would just ride it (hard :twisted: ) and see how it runs. If its something else like a con rod little end then it will require a tear down anyway. In that case it doesn't matter if you ride it then rebuild it or rebuild it and then ride it. Either way it gets rebuilt. But if its cam noise (which it most likely is) you get to just ride, ride, ride.....

HTH

Comment

Ticking

Perfect. I will just wait for my manual that I have ordered then I will do the valves. Thanks for all your help!!

Comment

Working...
                    X