Weird knocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird knocking

My bike makes a knocking sound in idle. It goes away when revved up, and is only present when the engine is cold. Any ideas? Valves are adjusted properly too.

At idle, does it go away when you pull in your clutch?

A lot of old GS's make clutch noises....

Comment

I'm in the same boat. My ' GS1000G sometimes makes an intermittent light metallic clanking at idle until it warms up. It doesn't sound like a typical bearing problem because it is irratic and doesn't necessarily happen in rhythm with the turning of the engine. Clutch in or out makes no difference.....???

Comment

yeah, it doesn't matter if the clutch is in or out

Comment

anyone?

Comment

Yeah, my 550 does that too. Been doing it for years. I'm pretty sure it's just the starter clutch. Course, I could be wrong.

Comment

Can you describe the noise better, maybe where its coming from?could be the cam chain tensioner...not likely the starter clutch as it would have failed by now and generally they dont make a whole lot of noise once started.. Id check cam tension and maybe clutch rattle...

Comment

Originally posted by bybowtie
                Can you describe the noise better, maybe where its coming from?could be the cam chain tensioner...not likely the starter clutch as it would have failed by now and generally they dont make a whole lot of noise once started.. Id check cam tension and maybe clutch rattle...
                The cam chain tensioner is my suggestion to. My 550 makes the same sound and my friends who had 1000 cc in the past recogniced the sound. "sounds like a sound GS".

Comment

Could be cam end float.If it is,don't worry about it.

Comment

Working...
                  X