Need help: Slow starter/start problem GSX 1100 EF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help: Slow starter/start problem GSX 1100 EF

I had an posting to this forum earlier this summer, but I`m still struggling.

This happens: The starter crancks slow a few rounds, then it stops. The battery + get`s very hot. And the engine wont start.

I have a new battery, new ground from the battery and, the solenoid seems to be ok. My starter is rebuilt, and I have also tried a starter from another bike, with the same result.
    It does not help to jump start the bike! But when i "pushing" it, it starts immideatly and runs fine! (Due to some language misunderstandings I wrote that I could jump start it in my last posting. But I ment push-start!)

Can the problem be the starter clutch. It does not seems to be the starter itself. Im out of ideas my self and extremely frustrated!!
    Bjorn from Norway

Re: Need help: Slow starter/start problem GSX 1100 EF

Considering what you have already done, the only thing it can be is the starter clutch. Either broken engagement pins in the clutch assembly or the bolts that hold the starter clutch to the rotor are bent or broken.

Earl

Originally posted by barberg1
    Can the problem be the starter clutch. It does not seems to be the starter itself. Im out of ideas my self and extremely frustrated!!
    Bjorn from Norway
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

The fact that the battery cables are getting HOT tells me that you are drawing too much current I would suspect a bad starter even tho you had it rebuilt What I would try first is to loosen the two bolts that hold the starter together, as the starter may be binding if the bolts are over tightened. Other wise remove the starter and have it rechecked.
      If the starter clutch was bad their are several things that can happen
      One is that the motor will not turn-- caused by broken starter clutch mounting bolts This will not cause the cables to get hot.
      The other problem is that the starter clutch does not release, this will be accompanied by a high pitched noise that varies with RPM and will quickly distroy the starter-- something broken in the starter clutch

Comment

didnt someone else have the same question??It looks familiar I am with the other two.. you have a tremendous load on the starter to begin with and IF the starter clutch binds in some way it WILL NOT let the starter work properly thus heating up then adding heatto the wires that feed it..If you keep trying youll likely burn the starter up and be a cause for rebuild..
        Pull the cover off the Left side and go through the troubleshooting(pull the idler gear out and see how the Big gear in the back spins, should spin clockwise and not counter, if it doesnt or spins both the clutch is worn and needs attn)
        You'll eventually need a rotor tool, easy to make your own and there are a few ideas on the site leading to it.

Comment

Working...
        X