Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what are some good spark plug wires for our bikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what are some good spark plug wires for our bikes?

I think I need to replace the wires on my bike, it has started with one side cold for awhile now, it eventually kicks in but I have a sneaking suspicion that it takes awhile to get all four running because of "electrical issues", (pretty obvious, eh?). this morning I messed around with the wire on #1 since that was the coldest, and it seemed loose, cracked, free, etc...

so I wondered what brand is a good replacement for our old bikes? I would like to go ahead and get the best, or at least really decent ($$)

any suggestions?

thanks!

For starters you need 3 ohm coils You have several options
    Repair your originals-- The plug wire is molded/glued into the coil, MUST be replaced with solid core wire.
    A good set of used- late model GSX/Bandit coils NOT the GSXR coil on plug from Ebay
    Aftermarket--- Dyna green coils and wires $175 new or from Ebay

Comment

thanks Lynn!! I thought noone was going to respond!!

so I would think that my preferred option would be to replace/splice in new wires instead of replacing whole coils? can I just get typical replacement wires and cut their ends off? as I think the most prevalent issue is that the clips/connectors on the plug end are falling apart... just have to get the long and short connector ends?

any brand that makes a specifically superior wire?

on my 81 650G I would already have 3 ohm coils?? what guage of solid wire would I want to get? the fatter the better-->less resistance?

Comment

Re: what are some good spark plug wires for our bikes?

Originally posted by snowbeard
        I think I need to replace the wires on my bike, it has started with one side cold for awhile now, it eventually kicks in but I have a sneaking su####ion that it takes awhile to get all four running because of "electrical issues", (pretty obvious, eh?). this morning I messed around with the wire on #1 since that was the coldest, and it seemed loose, cracked, free, etc...

so I wondered what brand is a good replacement for our old bikes? I would like to go ahead and get the best, or at least really decent ($$)

any suggestions?

thanks!
        Have you checked or replaced your caps or resistors as some people call them? They are only $4 each. It fixed a intermittent problem I had on my 1100 that I thought was coil\wire related.

Comment

that might be what I need to do first, it seems like the caps are in the worse shape... thanks!!

Comment

Working...
          X