Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 gs750L electrical problems

Hi,
    I just bought my first bike, a 1979 gs750L, and have been trying to get it running all summer long. I have already redone the carbs, thinking that was the problem, and when i brought the bike to a suzuki mechanic he said he got it running good, but one of the coils was bad. So I replaced the coil the #1 and #4 cylinders. However, the bike still would not run. We narrowed the problem down (i think) to somewhere in the points. One set of the points is getting power and pulsing correctly, and the other is not even getting power. I was mainly just wondering about a wiring diagram or something to show where the power lead into the points comes from. I would also apprecaite any ideas about why power isnt getting to that set of points and how i might fix it, as well as any other suggestions that you might have.

Thank You,
    Steve Carlson

The points connect the negative side of the coil to ground. When they're open you should read about +12V on the side were the wire is connected.
    Possible reasons if you don't read any voltage when the points are open:
    bad coil, broken wire between coil and points, bad connections, faulty condenser/capacitor.
    Is the positive side of the coil getting +12V?

Comment

Steve,

I have the same bike. Keep at it! You'll figure it out.

The wiring diagram in the Haynes manual shows a white wire from the left coil to one side of the points, and a black wire from the right coil to the other side of the points. I've never worked on my ignition system but the Haynes manual has procedures for checking the points and condensers. It says a failed condenser can cause difficulty in starting. I would strongly recommend getting either the Haynes or Clymer manual for your model. I have both.

Comment

It's as simple as this:

Comment

Working...
        X