Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious start problem GSX 1100 EF (GS 1150 E)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious start problem GSX 1100 EF (GS 1150 E)

Tried a posting in this forum earlier this summer. But problem not solved.

When I run the start motor is cranks the engine a few times then it dies. + on battery gets very hot.
    Have a new battery, good ground, new solenoid and rebuilt starter. Have also tried a starter from another bike. The same happens. It does not help to use cables from a car battery either.
    Could the problem be the starter clutch??

When I push start the bike, it starts emmidiatly and runs fine.

Please help as this problem make me crazy )

Bjorn Arne
    Norway

sounds like you have a bound starter clutch assy.. or something in that side is binding

Comment

I would remove the left case cover and remove and inspect the three starter clutch mount bolts. (you will need to remove the rotor/starterclutch assembly to do this and that requires a rotor removal tool)

I suspect you will find a couple of the clutch mount bolts broken and the assembly wedged so it cannot engage properly.

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I will try to inspect the clutc and the bolts. If the bolts are broken, do I need to buy original Suzuki bolts or are there any other kind of bolts I can use?

The Suzuki shop here have to order parts from Japan and that will keep me waiting for at least two weeks!

Bjorn

Comment

Had that same problem with a GS 550. It was the armature in the starter. First the starter was rebuilt, brushes, springs, etc. starter still didn't work properly. Cranked very slow. farther searching discovered a shorted armature. Replaced it, $91.00, now everything works fine, + cable doesn't even get warm anymore.

Comment

The starter clutch assembly on my 1150E is held in place with Home Depot grade 5 metric bolts. (exact same bolts as Suzuki OEM except they only cost 50 cents from Home Depot.) :-) Home Depot stocks bolts that are a perfect match. Take an old bolt with you so you can check thread pitch.

Also, when you remove the left case cover, between the starter and the starter clutch, you will see an idler gear on a shaft. You might want to pull that shaft out with your fingers, and that will allow you to remove the idle hear. Then you can run the starter without it it being connected to the engine in any way. If things still heat up or it doesnt sound or run normally, then you know its a starter problem.

Earl

Originally posted by barberg1
            I will try to inspect the clutc and the bolts. If the bolts are broken, do I need to buy original Suzuki bolts or are there any other kind of bolts I can use?

The Suzuki shop here have to order parts from Japan and that will keep me waiting for at least two weeks!

Bjorn
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

!!!! The bike starts again!

I dissasembled the starter clutch, cleaned everything and assembled it again. And then everything worked fine!
              Dont know what the problem really was, but now it works so ... )

Anyon the knows the correct torque for the crank??

Comment

Originally posted by barberg1
                Anyon the knows the correct torque for the crank??
                Glad to here you solved the problem Bj?rn,

I assume you mean the torque for the rotornut (muttern till sv?nghjulet, som g?ngas fast p? vevaxeln), if yes, the spec for the nut is 16 - 17 kgm.

/Karl

Comment

Working...
                X