Oil pressure light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pressure light

Hey guys-- So I have had this problem for many a month- When I put my key in the ignition and turn on the electrical system for the bike, the oil pressure light turns on. As soon as I start the bike, the light goes away. Now the bike didn't always do this... I guess I should have asked about this way sooner.

by the way, I put 20w 50 in the thing and I think it runs stronger out here in the LA sun.

Travis

'80 gs550e

The light is supposed to turn on when you switch the ignition on, and it should go out when the engine is running.
    If it stays out when you switch the ignition on, check the oil pressure switch. It is located behind/under the carbs, in the engine. Probably a bad connection. Happens a lot.
    If the light stays or goes on with a running engine, it means that you don't have enough oil pressure. In that case shut down the engine immediately and check your oil level!!!!

Comment

well, that is what I figured but it never used to go on before... only in the last few months. And it doesn't always go on-- for instance, last night it didn't go on but this morning it did. What gives?

Travis

Comment

sounds like a poor connection, as it should be on before start, and go off once running. may make the connection part time, not others?

Comment

Originally posted by TBONE
          well, that is what I figured but it never used to go on before... only in the last few months. And it doesn't always go on-- for instance, last night it didn't go on but this morning it did. What gives?

Travis
          Next time it does not light up with the key switched to 'on', but the engine not yet started, reach down and jiggle the switch a bit...if it flickers or lights up, you have a loose connection at the switch.....mine does that sometimes too.
          '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
          Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

This is a simple fix. Take a half inch piece of electrical tape and use it to

cover the oil warning light. there you go, problem solved ! ! !

Comment

Working...
            X