Gas cap problem, GS700ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas cap problem, GS700ES

Here's a really tough technical problem: I just got a GS700ES with a service manual, but no owner's manual. So, how do I open the gas cap?

The key will turn from "locked" to "unlocked". Then what? Its just a flat plate with a lock in the middle; no knurls or finger holes to turn it, nothing to pull up with.

Your help is much appreciated.

Ted

- If its like my 80 GS850, you may need to turn key with one hand and push down on the cap with the other hand, this releives the friction on the the little tangs that need to retract. Cap just lifts off, isnt hinged or attatched at all (well, other than those tangs). Pull the cap up/out/off with the key while key is turned.
    - If that works to get the cap off, then maybe lubricate those tangs.
    - Can hold onto edges of the cap after the cap pops up just a little. I hold onto the edges with fingers just so I dont drop the cap back on the tank.
    - I usally need to push down on my cap (with key turned) when putting it back on, sometimes to remove it also. When putting cap back on, the key needs to return to normal position to get key back out.

- Enjoy that bike. And welcome to the GSR site.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Is it a flat black cap with half a butterfly cut into the top (half surrounds the key). If to dig your finger under there and flip up the bail. Then turn it to the right about a 1/4 turn then lift out the cap. It will stop turning on its own when it is loose.

Good Luck, this is from an 85 550E
      Kenny

Comment

AHA! "flip up the bail", you say. So that's the part that's broken off on my cap. I'll just have to try to turn it without one. Thanks.

Ted

Comment

More help, please.

I took another look at my gas cap. Since the bail is broken off, I'm going to have to use some other means to turn it, like fingers or light tapping with a rubber mallet.

Is the whole black disc supposed to turn, or just the center section where the lock and bail are?

I'm guessing that this is the reason that both keys are badly twisted. I think the previous owner used the key to turn the gas cap in lieu of the bail.

Any suggestions?

Ted

Comment

Actually the key doesn't turn with the bail, only the bail turns. You'll have to try to turn what's left of the broken ends, maybe with a screw driver. Look for a new cap on eBay, I think the 1150 cap is the same as the 700, and wouldn't be surprised if the 550's is the same too (all for year 85 of course).

Comment

Working...
            X