Oil change woes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil change woes...

Last night, I attempted to change the oil in my 79 750. I couldn't keep oil in it at all. Today, I found out why.

At some point in my bike's long history, one of the studs that the filter cover is secured to broke off. Whoever owned it at that time drilled it out, then installed what is basically a spring, which allowed a threaded rod (threaded on both ends, with a smooth portion in the middle) to screw into that spring that was inside the block, which allowed the other end of said rod to have a nut attached, thus securing the filter cover.

Last night, unbeknownst to me, as it was dark, this spring sorta decided to start coming out of the block, which would explain why I was unable to keep any oil in the engine.

Said spring has been removed from the bike, and there is no way that I can figure out how to get it back into the hole, and so there's no way for me to secure the filter cover.

So I have a dead bike in the driveway right now...grrr...

Any ideas for a solution that won't involve me trying to arrange transportation for my dead bike to a shop for what could possibly be a lengthy/costly repair?

Heh...I could try and just JB weld the sucker in there...probably screw up the alignment though, and I'd be even more screwed....

Any ideas that are sensible would be GREATLY appreciated.

The "spring" is a common thing when a bolt hole is stripped out, like you suspected. One brand is called 'Heli Coil" and most people then called any such item a "heli coil". So its not an uncommon thing.
    BUt that doesnt answer your question about how to get it back in, maybe you cant get that one back in now that it has been pulled out and maybe deformed. Maybe someone else has more experince, and knows if you were to get a new fresh unused one that you could get it back together.
    Anybody else ? ?
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Usually, when you're talking a Heli-Coil, you're talking shop time. They're pretty common and just about any bike shop can install one. They usually aren't very expensive. Since this one's already been tapped, it will only require installation of a new one. I know you don't want to have to move the bike, but the best fix is probably to install a new coil. I think you can buy the kit and try to do it yourself. Talk to a local shop and see what they say. Machine shops can also do this sort of thing.

Comment

I use heli coil several time every years in my job, I'm a aircraft mechanic. I have to admit that I had tried several time to "save" the heli coil, but never suceed!
        You MUST buy a new one and find the little tool to install it. I know two type of tool, but you will certainly find the one in platic with a little metal plate on the end, or you may find the "real" tool (more complicate to work with but do a nice job). All you will need then is a little bit of "locktite", but I can't remember which one is to install helicoil (I will check at job tomorow).
        1- Remove the old one
        2- Clean and Tap to the right size depending on the helicoil to install
        3- apply a drop or two of locktite in the hole
        4- screw-in the helicoil using the special tool
        5- When helicoil reach it's final position, broke the leg that you used to screw it with a plier or screwdriver.

But if your not familiar with the use of helicoil, I suggest that you make it done by a profesionnal and look how he do it, then the next time you will know how to do!

Comment

Well, the bike is up and running again! w00t! Went to the local industrial fastener shop and bought a heli-coil kit and got 'er done. I did substitute a bolt for the difficult to install and deal with threaded rod/stud. Fired her up, realized that a fair bit of oil sits in the pan and it doesn't all come out the filter cover, so drained the excess off, and she runs again! Not having a ride made that the longest 5 days ever!

Comment

Working...
          X