X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb problem -- again

OK, here's the skinny..

GS650GL, cleaned carbs.
    replaced carb body on #4, stuck air/fuel screw. Used original jets, etc.
    Purchased Motion Pro Sync tool from JC Whitney.
    Set air/fuel screw to 1 3/4 turn to start.
    Sync carbs at 1200 RPM. Engine was warm.
    Set Throttle stop to 1100 RPM.
    Attempted to start bike this afternoon, bike was cold.

Guess what, it will not start. Should I proceed to adjust air screws util it starts. I'm at a total loss. HELP !!!

](*,)

Your choke circuits sound like they are plugged. When you cleaned the carbs, did you seperate them and force cleaner through the little brass straw that hangs out of the bottom of the carb? Insert straw into hole where choke assembly was removed, fluid should come out of the brass straw. Also you need to be able to force cleaner through the hole in the carb bowl that the little brass straw sits in. If either is plugged the choke circuit will not work, and rarely will a Suzuki start without the choke circuit working properly.

Comment

Originally posted by arveejay
      Your choke circuits sound like they are plugged. When you cleaned the carbs, did you seperate them and force cleaner through the little brass straw that hangs out of the bottom of the carb? Insert straw into hole where choke assembly was removed, fluid should come out of the brass straw. Also you need to be able to force cleaner through the hole in the carb bowl that the little brass straw sits in. If either is plugged the choke circuit will not work, and rarely will a Suzuki start without the choke circuit working properly.
      So in addition to this, the bike will not start when the choke is engaged. Sounds like the same problem... I did go back and adjust the air screws and it started with approx. one additional turn (2 3/4 total) on each carb. But it still sounds like it's not idling properly. I guess I'll go back over the choke circuits this weekend. It's going to rain here anyway, thanks to hurricane Charley.

Thanks for your help.
      Tim

Comment

Cans of compressed air (cheap at costco) or an attachment for an air compresser are great for cleaning carbs. I have an attachment with a rubber end, perfect for pushing against holes in the carb, and blowing junk out. Of course, after a few hours in carb dip, it's nice and ready to come easy too

Comment

Carb problem --- update

Ok,

I've disassembled the carbs, and I can force carb cleaner from the choke assembly thru the brass straw which goes into the bowl. None of the carbs were clogged. However, when I spray cleaner into the hole in the bowl where the brass straw goes into, it does not come out anywhere. Should it come out from the small hole in the bowl ?? I'm dipping the bowls in cleaner now.

-Tim

Comment

Hey all,

Thanks to all that responded to my carb questions, every one of the holes in the carb bowls was clogged.. I'm sure that once I get it back together tomorrow, it'll run like a champ.

Thanks again,
            Tim

Comment

Getting that hole in the carb bowl cleaned out should make a dif, let us know.

Comment

Just finished cleaning the carb bowls, reassembly, resetting the air/fuel screws, and resyncing.. Motor is running great and I was able to use the choke level to start it for the first time.

-Tim

Comment

Working...
                X