What is Stabil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is Stabil?

:? Okay you guys, can anyone tell me exactly what is Stabil? I know it's supposed to stabilize octane in gas but what is in it and how does it work? I suspect it's just alcohol because that's what it smells like and I'm not so sure that's it's good thing to be running in my engine.
    Axel

It's for when you are going to store an engine without draining the gas. It must be safe if used in the right amount or they wouldn't be selling it. Never used it personally, I drain my carbs if I'm not going to be riding for a while. Even then I'll remove the carbs and clean them up after an extended time without starting the motor.

Comment

It dosn't just stabilize octane but it keeps the gas from turning to gum and varnish. It is a good idea to drain the carb(s), but it's also wise to keep the tank topped up to prevent rust from forming, This is where it does the most good. I've used it for many years with no hint of a problem. I didn't see any alcohol in the ingrediants either.

Comment

Check out their website. http://www.sta-bil.com/faqs.htm

Comment

Thanks for the website Steve. Now I know that Sta-bil is "a blend of scientific additives" and that it's supposed to provide a protective coating around the good fuel molecules. Mmmm. Hey do you guys remember those fuel line magnets that were supposed to increase gas mileage by rearranging the molecules in gas? I know people that swore they worked. Someone must know. What is Sta-bil?
          Axel

Comment

I don't know "what" it is, but I've used a couple of different brands. They do keep the gas (especially the newer reformulated stuff) from going sour. I don't know about "protective coatings" (it doesn't sound like basic chemistry), but I think it prevents a lot of the volatile components from evaporating and leaving the heavier parts behind; but that's just a guess. I use it for my generator gasoline and in the bike when I put it up for the winter; no spring carb cleanings yet. I don't believe in most of the junk being sold out there as miracle cures; most of it just masks a problem for a while, if it works at all.

Comment

fuel line magnets are up there with engine pellets from the jc whitney catalog(that stuff looks like tic tacs), and and that fancy tornado air thingy for cars, if all that stuff really worked, every car in production would have those parts.

Comment

Working...
              X