Rust hole in header!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust hole in header!!

I am in the final stages of putting my 'ol Kat back on the road....last night I was sanding the V+H for a repaint and lo and behold a 1.5 inch hole opened up right before the collector....My budget is already spent and I wont be able to afford a new pipe till next year. Anybody have any ideas on a fix to get me on the road for the rest of this season.? Thanks

look around for a local welder to get it patched up. It won't cost much and should last you a year.

Comment

well Its cheap useful very sandable and my all time favorite, paintable.. J/B WELD it works great even at theultra high temps seen at the collector...looking at 4 $ at the most sand it smooth and paint it..

Comment

thanks bbt...you confirmed what I was thinking...SomedOOd.. it really looks like welding would just create more damage (thin rusty) $4 sounds better than $300 or so (for a new pipe)...I just hope we have 2 or 3 more nice days before it turns into a glacier up here.

edit: hey bbt do you think I should use some of that muffler repair stuff that looks like a plaster cast to cover the hole first..then J+B over the top?

Comment

possibly,they are similar but I prefer the J/B. Id go with a fine wire mesh(that way your not filling the tube just the hole..) Sand down the rust as much as possible to get a good bond, cut the mesh slightly bigger than the hole. DAb a little J/B on the mesh an press it into place once dy fill it over as you would with body putty sand smooth ,primer with a good rust preventative and paint to match.. Ill almost guaranty that the metal around your repair will fail before the J/B does.. Good luck

Comment

THANKS!!

Comment

never thought about the jb weld. yeah on a tight budget that would be the best way. I personally weld everything in sight just have to find good metal to weld onto.

Comment

Get the original formula JB Weld, NOT the quick stuff. Had the quick stuff fail on a non-stress metal repair earlier this year. Threw that stuff away, I've never had problems with original JB. I've got time to wait if it works!

Comment

Or a piece of a coke can and some hose clamps.

Comment

You may want to use something a little heavier than a coke can. It may also work well with the JB weld and coke can together. Use the JB Weld to secure it.

Comment

Heavier than a coke can? You mean like a Steel Reserve can? 16s and tallboys always use heavier aluminum My next plan is to build an exahust all out of malt liquor cans to replace my POS Jardine 4-1 that all it wants to do is rust......

Comment

used Victor's rock hard(like plaster cast) with a screen and J/B weld on top looks great and as someone said it will probably outlast the rest of the pipe..
                        On to the next crisis ](*,)

Comment

Working...
                        X